Author Topic: The Allies - Poles & Canucks  (Read 3494 times)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
The Allies - Poles & Canucks
« on: February 04, 2017, 10:05:03 am »
For a change of pace I decided to model some Polish vehicles from the 10th Mounted Rifles , an Armored regiment that had Cromwells and the Crusader AA

The Rubicon Crusader AA , a great kit that needed very little added bits ( tow rings on turret , shovel and pry bar on side boxes , the exhaust outlet in the rear grill and tow rings front and rear . Gunner and ammo drums ( yes they are in beside the gunner ) added from parts box

BA Cromwell , added turret lift rings ( then covered them with cammo net  ::) ) Spare track is badly cast  BA metal Pzr IV track cut to look the part . Tank commander from parts box ( Tankers helmet is an undersized piece from a 1/35 Masterbox set . You never know where you will find stuff that works in this scale
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 08:50:28 am by ripley »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The Allies - Poles & Canucks
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 10:14:54 am »
And now the Canadians - Tamiya 1/48  Dingo . I figure no one will make one in 1/56 , plus being a little larger it can proxy the Canadian made Lynx AC which was the Dingo on Steroids

BA Universal Carrier , added loads of stowage , mostly HO scale railroad boxes with BA metal 6 pdr ammo boxes on top . The Canadians used 50 cals on their Carriers , taken from the Shermans ( as it hindered bailing out in an emergency ) Other bits and pieces just to fill up space around the crew .

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 10:20:48 am »
Last the BA M4 Sherman with the Company B Dozer Blade kit . Nicely detailed metal resin kit ( made for the resin Shermans-   2 mm too wide ) but can be made to fit the plastic without too much trouble . Added lift rings , tools on the rear plate , stowage , some cast texture on the turret and hull . BA plastic Brit for commander and Tamiya parts for Driver

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 03:57:15 pm »
More goodies...

I think the Carrier is my favourite, mostly because of the figures, but also because the stowage looks very authentic.  It's a shame the photos aren't clearer, as I'd like to be able to see more of the detail.  I would suggest toning down your track colour a bit - even a wash of black would make them look less silvery.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 05:04:26 pm »
Excellent work.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 11:05:04 pm »
Thks guys .  I'm finding taking pictures could turn out to be a whole new hobby in it self . I've found more brush strokes and finger prints in the paint job in my pictures than are seen with the naked eye  :-[ . And I've found that what looks good on the work bench , doesn't always translate into picture , too light , too dark , too much glue  ::) .

« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 11:12:46 pm by ripley »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 11:20:45 am »
That's better.  I wish I could find some of the nice bits of stowage you've accumulated.

Photographing a model always reveals its flaws.  I think we mentally adjust what we see, particularly while we're building something, and it can be a shock to see what the model looks like in a photo.  The amount (and type) of light is really important - direct sunlight is especially unforgiving...