Author Topic: The Panzer IV Digital Library - PzIV Ausf H Painted 190816  (Read 189660 times)

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
Re: The Panzer IV Digital Library - Wire-Mesh Skirts 180429
« Reply #330 on: May 29, 2018, 10:24:59 am »
None of the Panzer IVs A - J had the radio ops hatch in line with the drivers , all were set back.

Are we talking about different hatches?

Here is a link to Pz IV Ausf B "blueprints". The top view shows the hatch over the drivers compartment, and the hatch over the guy who sits to his right perfectly lines up on the top of the superstructure.  Isn't that the radio operator position? Sometimes referred to as the hull MG position?

https://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/tanks/ww2-tanks-germany-2/72454/view/sd_kfz_161_pz_kpfw_iv_ausf_b/

I love Squadron publications (I love Osprey too for that matter). But anyone can get their hands on wrong information.  I don't know if Jentz is any more reliable than any other tank author. But if I find two different drawings, and they do not agree, I tend to side with Jentz. His material just seems more detailed, and I am more willing to trust his drawings.

And for all we both know, Jentz has the original blueprint drawings, and Squadron has a mid-production drawing. They could both be right. I am surprised though, that the Jentz book doesn't say "Mid production changes included moving the radio operators hatch rearward to make room for the (x)".

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 29, 2018, 03:23:39 pm »
Of all the early war Panzer IVs, I'm really glad Rubicon Models will focus on the D/E. It was the more important one of all the ones from A to E, and more D/E were built than A to C.

A = 35 October 1937 – March 1938
B = 42 April 1938 – September 1938
C = 134 September 1938 – August 1939
Total = 211

D – 229 October 1939 – Mary 1941
E = 223 September 1940 – April 1941
Total = 452,
or more than twice as many as all that came before. Also the D/E saw more action than the A/B/C making it more useful for the normal gamer.

Like many others here on this forum, I too will not lose sleep over the idea of using a D/E for a A/B/C in a game of BGWW2, CoC or BA.

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 29, 2018, 03:49:30 pm »
Nothing wrong with your point of view Tracks.

For me more important than the 211/452 comparison is 'C' equals Poland onwards, 'D' equals France onwards.

I certainly wouldn't object to anyone using a substitute in a game I was playing in or lose any sleep over it.

I should add the 'D' is coming. No one is trying to take it away.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 04:09:18 pm by tyroflyer »

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 29, 2018, 05:40:34 pm »
For me more important than the 211/452 comparison is 'C' equals Poland onwards, 'D' equals France onwards.

Good point tyroflyer and I agree, but I was also thinking about longevity. I have found data showing that the D/Es were kept in combat all the way up until 1944, but it seems that the A, B, and C were very short lived. However, tank training schools used older tanks, so it is possible that any remaining Cs could have been pushed into combat in 1945.

The main reason for my post was to eagerly support RM's decision on their three choices. However, we have to face reality, and that is we may not see these great kits for sometime.

Quote from: Rubicon Models
...we have split the Panzer IV project into 3 plastic products:

(1) Panzer IV Ausf D/E
(2) Panzer IV Ausf F1/F2/G/H
(3) Panzer IV Ausf J

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 29, 2018, 05:57:17 pm »
My Chamberlain and Doyle reference says the 'C' variant remained active until 1943. I remember Pinky posting pictures of 'B's in Normandy 1944. Obviously in very small numbers by then but historically correct on the wargame table for a long time.

Anyway RM have indicated their intention to do something about the C. With EWG pointing out the difference between the C and B being tiny perhaps that could be included as well.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 29, 2018, 06:13:34 pm »
However, we have to face reality, and that is we may not see these great kits for sometime.

Reality sometimes in good for everyone... How about Q3 and Q4 releases? We do want to spend the time to start the Panzer III Digital Library Project asap!  ;)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 29, 2018, 08:38:29 pm »
All drawings , from various sources show the bow mg / radio op  hatch  set back farther than the driver . Its only about 3 inches but it very noticeable if looking at pictures when both hatches are open , folded forward .   Bow mg or radio op , its the same guy  :D . Considering the radio was mounted in the hull over the transmission , I would think his main job was to man the radio , the B & C didn't have bow guns so he wasn't neededfor that  .  Funny even the later Maus and those paper panzer types kept the radio and operator in the hull but did away with the bow gun , I wonder why ?

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #337 on: May 30, 2018, 12:43:39 am »
My suspicion is that wrangling the wireless was a full time job.

My assumption was that British radios were viewed as reliable* enough not to require a dedicated crewman and having it next to the commander was viewed as a greater advantage.

* Reliability is of course relative ^__^

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 30, 2018, 01:51:31 am »
Not to mention radio in hull would take away space needed for water tank and hot plate for brewing tea  :D

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #339 on: May 30, 2018, 04:10:26 pm »
Not to mention radio in hull would take away space needed for water tank and hot plate for brewing tea  :D
The only problem was having to pop over to the Bradleys to get the milk out of the fridge ^__^.

Jimmy_P

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 31, 2018, 12:31:51 am »
However, we have to face reality, and that is we may not see these great kits for sometime.

Reality sometimes in good for everyone... How about Q3 and Q4 releases? We do want to spend the time to start the Panzer III Digital Library Project asap!  ;)

Yes please on the PzIII!!  ;D

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 31, 2018, 01:42:43 am »
We do indeed need a decent Pzr III, the BA plastic kit  makes a nice late J ,  L  & N  if you know what parts you need ( plus a M Flam if you change the barrel ) , but would really love some early short 37mm , twin co ax mg types for early war France & Russia

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 31, 2018, 07:51:17 am »
Let's not forget Poland! Pz III E onwards please.

I think these posts are about to get moved if this doesn't stop!

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 31, 2018, 11:07:31 pm »

Very much looking forward to the new PzIV J (& hope it's one of those Q3/4 releases - preferably the former).
 As to the III, I tend to agree with Tyroflyer, an Ausf E would be very useful - since it bridges the 37mm/50mm armed vehicles & could be built with either.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The Panzer IV Digital Library - TS1 Wirbelwind 180626
« Reply #344 on: June 26, 2018, 11:31:07 pm »
While we are putting the finishing touches on our NEW Panzer IV kits, conversion projects are close behind... This is our first test shot single plastic sprue for the Wirbelwind turret. It comes with four late-war gun crew and extra stowage.

Looking at the interior of the turret and you will be amazed at how spacious it is with our human proportional figures together with our true-scale 1/56 plastic kits. There is just no comparison!

Enjoy!
;)