Author Topic: The all NEW M4A3 Sherman - Decal Update 170212  (Read 33450 times)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: The all NEW M4A3 Sherman - TS1 Plastic Sprue 161017
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2016, 05:21:53 am »
Are all the tracks complete, or are there some common parts?  It looks as though the 2 different VVSS sets share a common drive sprocket.
I think that you can only build one set of VVSS, there appears to be only two sets of bogie backs and sprockets.

Combined with the spare engine deck (either from the M10/36 or a future M4Ax kit), you might be able to cobble one of the really strange Sherman variants like the Israeli mortar carrier together.

Suetonius Paullinus

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2016, 06:45:56 am »
Just wow!
The E8 looks really stunning 8-)
I'm really looking forward to the release of this kit!

Cheers

SP

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2016, 08:13:51 am »
Looks like only one VVSS track set can be built complete , but if you use the sand skirts and a little kit bashing I'm sure you could get away with incomplete wheel sets . It worked on my T-34 , I used the 2 internal pieces of the return roller to make a spare one strapped on a fender . Probably the internal piece of the drive sprocket could be used as spare stowage as well . If all else fails , a little mud hides a multitude of omissions  ;D

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2016, 01:04:24 pm »
Thanks all for the compliments.  We have spend a lot of time to build
the M4 Sherman Digital Library in hope to create a product range that
is affordable (low cost) and covers a broad range of M4 variants.

By looking at the sprues, you can see we are creating a number of
"common" sprues that can be used repeatedly for other M4 variants.
The plan is to create only a new mould for each upcoming variant to
save development costs, thus keeping our cost down.  By doing so,
we are also able to release new variants at a faster rate too!

We are also studying the possibility of applying the same logic to
our revising Panzer IV and Panzer III kit too.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2016, 03:47:04 pm »
So it looks as though sprue A would be common to all Sherman kits.  Sprue D is for any 76mm-armed Sherman (M4A1 and M4A2).  Sprue B is specific to the M4A3.  Sprue C is essentially the HVSS components, and would be compatible with both an M4A1 or M4A2 (76mm) (HVSS) (although the M4A1 with HVSS almost certainly didn't see service in WW2) and with a late M4 (105mm).  I think the late model exhaust deflector on sprue D is specific to the M4A3, but there was a similar type for the M4A1.

I would guess there is a 75mm turret sprue in the works, perhaps with parts for the high and low bustle turret.  Then Rubicon would design a specific sprue for each variant - although in most cases they will need to do a 'small hatch' and 'large hatch' hull.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2016, 03:53:12 pm »
I would guess there is a 75mm turret sprue in the works, perhaps with parts for the high and low bustle turret.  Then Rubicon would design a specific sprue for each variant - although in most cases they will need to do a 'small hatch' and 'large hatch' hull.

The 75/105mm turret sprue is in the works with BOTH high and low bustle features.

As for the small and large hatch hulls, you might receive BOTH hulls on some variants,
some might not... depending on the number of parts needed for each one!

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2016, 10:01:42 pm »
Looking at the dedicated M4A3 sprue, if you disregard the accessories and the additional HVSS parts, there seems to be enough space for both a small hatch hull and a large hatch hull.  So, in the case of the M4A2, you could include the common sprue (sprue A), the 76mm turret sprue (sprue D), and the 75mm turret sprue.  That would build at least 3 versions of the M4A2.  You'd almost have enough parts for 2 whole tanks!  But the dedicated M4A2 sprue would need to include sandshields, a British style blanket box, and a Soviet tank commander.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2016, 10:21:01 pm »
Looking at the dedicated M4A3 sprue, if you disregard the accessories and the additional HVSS parts, there seems to be enough space for both a small hatch hull and a large hatch hull.  So, in the case of the M4A2, you could include the common sprue (sprue A), the 76mm turret sprue (sprue D), and the 75mm turret sprue.  That would build at least 3 versions of the M4A2.  You'd almost have enough parts for 2 whole tanks!  But the dedicated M4A2 sprue would need to include sandshields, a British style blanket box, and a Soviet tank commander.

This is exactly what we do not wanted... "almost" two whole tanks! 
Being a business, we need the sales... of course, without sacrificing
our signature features - multiple choices & variants!

Unlike the M4A3/M4A3E8 combo, the M4A2 will be having a different
way of presenting itself, stay tuned!

;)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 01:43:42 am by Rubicon Models »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2016, 01:02:08 am »
Fair point - that would be a lot of wasted parts.  Remember though that the wargamers love things like turrets to be completely switchable, so it's good if they're complete, with no common parts.

Collius

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2016, 03:15:52 pm »
Hello,

I wanted to ask when this kit might make it to market, or at the very least if we know if it'll be available before or after the new year. I saw in the original posting that the quoted release date is some time here in Q4 of 2016.

:)Thanks,
-Collius

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2016, 10:57:33 am »
Rubicon were talking about Q4 this year, but I'm going to guess it will be Q1 next year.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2016, 11:09:04 am »
A couple of suggestions on markings.  Up till now Rubicon's kits have been largely confined to WW2.  But the M4A3 (76mm) HVSS saw extensive service after WW2 in the Korean War.  It would be great if Rubicon could include some decals for Korean War vehicles - there was the very distinctive tiger and dragon markings used by some US units in 1951, and the British-style markings of the Canadian Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians).  Having a Canadian vehicle would also mean the commander with a beret can be used, as the Canadian tankers wore berets.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2016, 04:34:46 pm »
A couple of suggestions on markings.  Up till now Rubicon's kits have been largely confined to WW2.  But the M4A3 (76mm) HVSS saw extensive service after WW2 in the Korean War.  It would be great if Rubicon could include some decals for Korean War vehicles - there was the very distinctive tiger and dragon markings used by some US units in 1951, and the British-style markings of the Canadian Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians).  Having a Canadian vehicle would also mean the commander with a beret can be used, as the Canadian tankers wore berets.
An interesting idea, though the faces would occupy a substantial amount of the sheet.

Maybe as an additional decal sheet. I suspect there are plenty of Rubicon products with post war applications, I bought the Tankograd (DDR) NVA T34 book for ideas for the Rubicon T34s.

Maybe a post war decal thread on the wish list sub forum?

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2016, 08:18:01 pm »
Yes, they would be large decals.  Maybe this kit could have extra decals, seeing as it's a deluxe kit?  Just an idea...

Swamprat33

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2016, 04:31:07 am »
Lets get the kits first. Additional decal sets can be done at any time.

Tim