Author Topic: The all NEW M4A3 Sherman - Decal Update 170212  (Read 33835 times)

billybilly

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Re: The all NEW M4A3 Sherman - TS1 Plastic Sprue 161017
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2016, 07:55:44 am »
Any news? I need a e8 so bad but the other kits on the market don't seem to do it for me.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2016, 11:55:57 am »
Any news? I need a e8 so bad but the other kits on the market don't seem to do it for me.

Should be Q1/17 as most of the sprues are close to completion.

billybilly

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2017, 02:04:29 am »

Should be Q1/17 as most of the sprues are close to completion.

Awesome, I keep checking back here for updates, I cant wait for this kit ever since i messed up my current M4A3's 76MM turret  :'(

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The all NEW M4A3 Sherman - Decal Design 170206
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2017, 03:22:44 pm »
As the release date of the new M4A3/M4A3E8 is drawing near, we had begun work on the box design, assembly instruction, and the decal sheet.

Any new ideas on the decal sheet design are very much welcome!

Note:  Better to include images if you are talking about tank names and emblems.

;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The all NEW M4A3 Sherman - Decal Design 170206
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2017, 05:05:50 pm »
I have Steve Zaloga's Osprey book on the 76mm Sherman and his Concord books on the Sherman, which have quite a few colour schemes.  But I don't want to breach copyright by scanning the artwork.  Basically, you're looking at late war markings for US Army units in NW Europe and Italy, and you could include both US and Canadian unit markings for the Korean War (including the famous 'tiger' faces).

[Edit - email sent]
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 12:20:25 am by Pinky »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The all NEW M4A3 Sherman - Decal Sheet 170209
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2017, 11:03:44 pm »
The M4A3/M4A3E8 decal sheet is almost done.  We had packed a lot of stuff into this tiny sheet.
Almost 150 items are on there!

Comments welcome!
;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2017, 12:48:35 am »
You don't need the yellow ringed stars (only used in Sicily and Italy in 1943) or US flags (only used in North Africa).  These weren't in use when the M4A3 (76mm) entered service.

"Sad Sack" is mis-spelt.

Some more 'speed numbers' ( i.e. the large numbers in white or yellow) would be good.

By late 1944, many US tanks only had bumper codes - there don't seem to be any.

"Flat-Foot-Floogie" (41st Tank Batallion, 11th Armoured Division) has a nice set of markings:

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 12:53:54 am by Pinky »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2017, 01:10:01 am »
You don't need the yellow ringed stars (only used in Sicily and Italy in 1943) or US flags (only used in North Africa).  These weren't in use when the M4A3 (76mm) entered service.

May be not on a M4A3. there are still yellow ringed stars on M4 turrets -and- US flags on the hull as seen in some Normandy pictures.  Bison Decals had several illustrations with them that stated early 44.
Can delete the yellow ringed stars to save space!

"Sad Sack" is mis-spelt.

It was "Sad Sac!" on the "Allied Tanks of WW2" by David Porter, and another book that I can't recall.

Some more 'speed numbers' (i.e. the large numbers in white or yellow) would be good.

They are huge and takes up a lot of space on the decal sheet.  Might do a new standalone decal sheet later on.

By late 1944, many US tanks only had bumper codes - there don't seem to be any.

Bumper codes are too specific.  Will do a standalone sheet later!  Or alternatively, can bring the old M4A3 decal sheet back with a new set of vehicle numbers instead.

"Flat-Foot-Floogie" (41st Tank Batallion, 11th Armoured Division) has a nice set of markings:

Will look into this...

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2017, 09:38:02 am »
Nice variety of decals . Personally I would rather have generic national ID , vehicle ID  and unit ID decals  issued with the kit . The specialty  named vehicles ( Fury , Sad Sack , etc ) would be better IMO , as a separate set like your SS and Heavy Panzer decal sets . Most gamers that I know , want generic vehicles for various game setting options  , while modellers would want to make a specific vehicle . Most times , 90% of the decal sheets I have are useless to me , I would  rather order specific decals to match the picture of the vehicle I'm reproducing in 1/56 , 1/48 or 1/35 scale . That being said , I do have enough decals in my stash , to make do if a kits decals aren't exactly what I need   ;D

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2017, 02:18:39 pm »
May be not on a M4A3. there are still yellow ringed stars on M4 turrets -and- US flags on the hull as seen in some Normandy pictures.  Bison Decals had several illustrations with them that stated early 44.
Can delete the yellow ringed stars to save space!

There are always exceptions (e.g. vehicles soldiering on into 1944 with outdated markings).  I've never seen the US flag on a Normany-period tank.  Given that it was increasingly common to paint over every star by the time the M4A3(76mm) entered service, I'd suggest getting rid of these, and maybe reducing the number of stars overall so you've got room for other stuff.  How about including a couple of blacked-out stars instead? 

It was "Sad Sac!" on the "Allied Tanks of WW2" by David Porter, and another book that I can't recall.

Was it a photo?  Maybe the '!' was a 'k'?

"Sad Sack" was a cartoon character introduced in 1942, and the name appears on tanks and aircraft (apparently it was a short form of "sad sack of shit"!).  There are photos of Shermans called "Sad Sack" and "Sad Sack II".  Apart from the fact that a 'sac' is something quite different from a 'sack'(!), most people will assume that this is mis-spelt.  Unlike Ripley, I like getting tank names on decal sheets.  If I am doing a unit, I like to give them all different names.  So I'd like more rather than less!

They are huge and takes up a lot of space on the decal sheet.  Might do a new standalone decal sheet later on.

Fair enough.  It's just that late war US tanks were quite drab looking unless they had these kinds of tactical markings. 

Bumper codes are too specific.  Will do a standalone sheet later!  Or alternatively, can bring the old M4A3 decal sheet back with a new set of vehicle numbers instead.

Again, fair enough.  And probably less important for models that are used for wargaming.

Will look into this...

Flat-Foot-Floogie (named after a dance tune, apparently) is featured on the rear cover of the Squadron/Signal 'Sherman in Action' title.  I found the Bison decals (I hope it's okay to post them here):

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 02:21:07 pm by Pinky »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2017, 02:43:50 pm »
Will look into the details, and try to rework some items on the decal sheet... provided I have the time to do it.
Deadline is near... hahaha!
;)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The all NEW M4A3 Sherman - Decal Templates 170210
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2017, 03:17:02 pm »
This is the type of decal templates that we planned to do (when we have the time to) for all our products:

Comments welcome!
;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2017, 12:32:55 am »
I think this would be good - assuming you have room on the box.  You'd need to get the captions right - for instance, 'Eskimo' was on the Rhine in March 1945.  And maybe include some camo schemes?

billybilly

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2017, 03:09:26 am »
So excited, ETA on when I can give you my money????

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2017, 10:28:04 am »
I think there is sufficient disagreement about decals representing specific vehicles or more generic ones that can only be resolved by having different decal sheets. Personally I tend towards ripley's point of view that as a wargamer you don't usually want a vehicle identified with a particular battle because it is inappropriate in a different time and place. However I wouldn't want that view to spoil other people's fun.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 01:03:12 pm by tyroflyer »