Author Topic: New Rubicon kits  (Read 5987 times)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
New Rubicon kits
« on: June 12, 2016, 10:04:49 am »
I picked up the new SdKfz 250, SU-122/85 and Allied stowage set.

I don't plan to build the SU-122/85 yet, but looking at the sprues it's a superb kit.  It demonstrates how Rubicon's approach has been refined - there are parts for 2 different vehicles, both of which are accurate and complete.  The only 'issue' is the tread pattern, which (due to moulding limitations) isn't accurate.

The SdKfz 250 is probably Rubicon's most detailed kit so far.  The interior is especially nicely reproduced, along with all the external stowage.  Again, there are parts for 2 different vehicles, and again they are both very complete.  I think this will be a very popular kit - especially when the various upgrade sets are released.

The stowage set was the one I was particularly interested in.  It's generally good, with some very useful inclusions (like spare M4 wheels, spare tracks, MG ammo boxes and smaller ammo crates), and some nice British items (such as the 'flimsies' and funnel).  It would have been good to have more jerry cans - there are only 2 US and 2 British types per sprue.  And some of the generic boxes are identical to pieces from the German stowage set (and perhaps a bit oversized).  The lengths of spare M4 tracks are also a little awkward to work with if you want to shorten them.  There are some pre-arranged piles of gear covered with tarpaulins.  The larger of these pieces is too big for a tank, but will look good in a truck or as terrain.  The smaller piece looks great on the engine deck of a US tank.  Overall, it's an extremely useful set, and I'm sure I'll be buying many more.

I haven't yet bought the new SdKfz 251, but intend to do so.  I think Rubicon's focus on these kinds of vehicles (as well as soft-skins) is very well judged; not only are these vehicles very popular with Bolt Action players and modellers, they are unavailable in plastic from anyone else. 

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: New Rubicon kits
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 04:31:39 pm »
Thank you for your review, Pinky!

Better product design comes from experience and customer feedback.  Development cost also plays an important part to a better product.  20 months and 25 products later, we are now starting to do figures... but not without many trails and errors, plus a significant financial investment on hardware tools.  It is not any new startups could afford; we are just a lucky few!

Marketing sense is crucial in this business, particularly with plastic kits.  Even though our studio guys have their own favorites, we are not able to produce them right now... may be later!  ;)

SyrMalcolm

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 11:13:54 am »
I actually did a video of an unboxing and building of the SU-122/SU-85.  I'm a Soviet-prefer player and I love this kit. The design was excellent, and I was even able to magnetize it because both casemates were included, one for both the 85 and the 122 gun. 

The only complaint I have is that it kinda spoiled me for all the other kits for Bolt Action.. : )   I can't speak highly enough about the quality.

stevepalffy

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 02:36:15 pm »

stevepalffy

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 02:37:24 pm »

stevepalffy

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 02:38:30 pm »

stevepalffy

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 02:39:52 pm »

And allied Stowage set all put to good use....

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 01:48:03 pm »
We have updated our Production Schedule / New Release post.
Here is the link:

http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=211.0

;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 12:05:44 pm »
Thanks for doing that.  I didn't see the updated M4A3 in there -are you still working out what to do with it?

There is a lot of focus on support vehicles and artillery - with  strong emphasis on German subjects (which is probably inevitable).  Producing kits of the support vehicles makes a lot of sense, as you're the only ones doing it in this scale, and they are going to appeal strongly to Bolt Action players (who will normally want multiple APCs, light AFVs and soft-skins, but often only a couple of tanks).  And there's more scope for including figures.  But I like your tanks too!  Is there another tank in the works?

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 07:56:46 pm »
Just had a look at the build instructions for the new truck kits . Fantastic !  The thought that went into the design so that a careful modeler could use  both the canvas covered rear as well as the uncovered one is brilliant .  Just like the SU-122 / 85 kit , you get to choose which version you field on the game table . More vehicle choices with less vehicles is a good thing IMO . Well done Rubicon