Author Topic: Any plans for other Sherman Variants?  (Read 11945 times)

therupert

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Any plans for other Sherman Variants?
« on: October 22, 2014, 01:57:09 am »
I just pre-ordered 6 of the Sherman M4A3 kits from Plastic Soldier Company, so I can't wait to get my hands on these, but I was wondering if there were any plans to make any of the other Sherman variants in the future?

Specifically, the M4A3E8 "Easy Eight".  Saw Fury over the weekend, and would LOVE to be able to field an E8 in my Bolt Action games!

Also, any word on a USA Distributor? 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 01:59:02 am by therupert »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Any plans for other Sherman Variants?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 01:00:08 am »
There are at least two other M4 Sherman tanks on our P-LIST.  However, variant(s) from existing kits are usually not on the P-LIST anymore, they are moved to our B-LIST.  We use the B-LIST as production filler between major projects.  Probably will not do a M4A3E8 until we have some free time!

As for a US distributor, it is a long story and to make it short... NO, not yet!  :(

therupert

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 07:24:24 am »
Copy that.  Thanks for the response!

Here's to hoping you guys get some free time soon then!

robbie039

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 08:25:55 pm »
i wonder if you could make a version that would be usefull for post-war conflicts, such as M-50\M51

DerKobra

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 07:24:06 pm »
The M4A1 Hull one of the new versions being considered?

Cheers.

Michael Collins

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 08:43:22 pm »
We definitely have plans to do another M4 soon, but need to finish up all existing projects for Q2 and Q3 first!
;)

DerKobra

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 08:54:04 pm »
Ok.

So is it the M4A1;the most underrepresented Sherman in all Modelling?

If you do offer this, please include the option to add a 76mm Gun with proper Turrent.

Cheers,

Michael Collins

H0ffmn

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 12:08:58 am »
I would love to see a M4A1 Sherman in plastic. Unfortunately, to make the variant with the 76mm gun, it would require a different large hatch hull than the small hatch hull of the 75mm  gun  version, along with a different turret.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 01:08:31 am »
Based on our research material so far, the M4A1 had many variations.  Even with the basic 75mm gun version, the early and late variant had a lot of design changes that we don't think will be able to model into a single kit.  Take this for example...

Will take a lot of our time just to figure out how to build the base model itself if we wanted to keep both early and late variants as we do with most of our kits...
 :(

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 10:49:43 am »
They look like the drawings from the Squadron/Signal book on the Sherman.  I can see the problem though - you'd want to include an early version (important for North Africa) and the 76mm version (important for Normandy - and an opportunity to fix your 76mm turret), but that means virtually two completely different tanks.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 02:26:53 pm by Pinky »

kenshin620

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 12:51:08 pm »
They look like the drawings from the Squadron/Signal book on the Sherman.  I can see the problem though - you'd want to include an early version (important for North Africa) and the 76mm version (important for Normandy - and an opportunity to fixe your 76mm turret), but that means virtually two completely different tanks.

It is quite amazing just how tanks evolve and change, even if many games just act as if you slap on a different turret on them!

On that note, I'd love to see Mine Flails and beach assault shermans. But not sure how many people need those in plastic. And mine flails look better using chain anyways!

DerKobra

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 09:58:52 pm »
Hello All,

I would say that the M4A1 Late (75mm) would be my choice. However, the real differences  to allow both or all versions can be summarized as such:
The Gun Mantlet (Early vs. Late)
The Bogie system (Early  vs. Late) Offer two Different Variations to the Bogie
The addition of Dry Stowage Applique (easily offered as accessory)
Early Transmission (welded) vs. Later Transmission (Cast). Both are correct and can be interchanged.
Addition of applique around Hull Machine Gunners position. (another part to be put in place)

There are many photos showing aspects of early/late modifications on Shermans in Europe. Yes, the early Shermans seen in North Africa were consistent. However, as Tanks were damaged and newer Models were brought to the Front, the interchangeability of parts was the norm.

Thoughts?

Respectfully,

Michael Collins

H0ffmn

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 11:36:16 pm »
My choice would be the early M4A1 with the direct vision ports on the hull front. This version saw service from North Africa until the end of the war. In the Squadron Sherman publication, it shows a picture of a group of tanks in Italy, and includes a couple of direct vision hulled Sherman s still in service.

Cat

• Private
    • View Profile
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 10:14:38 pm »
Ah, just commented in another thread before seeing this one, will crosspost here to keep the conversation in one spot: If an M4A1 could also slide into work for an M4A5 Canadian Ram variants, I'ld grab a mob of Kangaroos ^,^

sandsmodels

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 11:59:03 pm »
the Canadian m4a5 was not the ram, the ram is very different from an m4a1, sadly.