Author Topic: 2015 - A Year in Review -&- Happy New Year 2016!  (Read 12317 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
2015 - A Year in Review -&- Happy New Year 2016!
« on: December 30, 2015, 10:27:03 pm »

Looking back, Rubicon Models had our first releases in late October 2014, and 2015 is basically
our first “Year” in business. Being a young establishment, 2015 had been an absolute great year for
us, and we couldn't have done it without the backing of all our fantastic followers and customers like
you. We have to say a huge “THANK YOU” for your continuous support!

Located on the other side of the globe (latitude and longitude are 22.2670°N, 114.1880°E), it is
very difficult to reach out directly to our customers. Fortunate enough, our Regional Distributors
had done a great job to get our products across! With their support, we’re looking forward to
continuing in 2016 with even bigger and better products for everyone!

2015 had been a year of learning for us. Running a business is very different from managing a
design studio. We are still learning, and we are getting there! New digital technology in design
and manufacturing had given us a leading edge to get our products quicker to the market; and
social media had given us an excellent platform to talk directly to our customers... YOU!

2015 is also a year of foundation laying. Selective products that we had released this year will
be the “base kit” for a whole new range of “add-on” products enabling you to expand your
wargaming arsenal and for your military model collections.

Looking forward, Rubicon Models will be churning out a lot of plastics – not just plain plastics –
but high quality, fine detail plastics!

- the Rubicon Team

« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 01:57:18 am by Rubicon Models »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 - A Year in Review
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 01:15:46 pm »
I think this year saw a huge improvement in Rubicon's kits.  The initial releases for the year were good - especially the SdKfz 251, which is an excellent kit - but the M5A1/M8 kits really raised the bar, in my view.  Sure, there are still a couple of niggly little issues, but they are such a pleasure to build, and look so cool, that I bought several just for the fun of building them. 

Less exciting to build, but perhaps more important in the bigger picture, are the Opel Blitz and stowage set.  The Blitz signalled Rubicon's willingness to release less glamourous but hugely useful vehicles like softskins.  And the stowage set made it possible to customise (German) vehicles and add stuff to dioramas and gaming tables relatively cheaply. 

It would have been great if Rubicon could have ended the year with the release of the Hetzer, M8/M20 and M10/M36 (as intended), as these also promise to be great kits, but I'm sure we'll see them soon.

I think we're all eager to see the first of the 'new generation' figures that have been previewed here, and I'm especially looking forward to the SdKfz 250.  Roll on 2016!

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 - A Year in Review -&- Happy New Year 2016!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 01:58:57 am »
Happy New Year, everyone!!

stevepalffy

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 10:12:50 am »
A few figure sets would be great ...Tank crews etc ?

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 01:12:02 pm »
I see that Warlord/Italeri have finally released their M10.  They opted not to provide optional parts for the M36 or Achilles, but did provide a US and British crew.  It looks okay, but the detail seems a bit basic.  It appears to have the same tracks and running gear as their M4, as evidenced by the (incorrect) track sag [edit: but without the chevrons].  I might get one for the crew, but it's the Rubicon version I'm looking forward to building.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:31:26 am by Pinky »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 01:17:00 pm »
I see that Warlord/Italeri have finally released their M10.  They opted not to provide optional parts for the M36 or Achilles, but did provide a US and British crew.  It looks okay, but the detail seems a bit basic.  It appears to have the same tracks and running gear as their M4, as evidenced by the (incorrect) track sag.  I might get one for the crew, but it's the Rubicon version I'm looking forward to building.

If you looked closely at their images, Italeri's M10 is basically a scaled down version of their 1/35 kit; even the tank crews are scaled down!

H0ffmn

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 11:14:23 pm »
In the pictures that Warlord posted,it looks to have the earlier rubber padded track without the molded chevrons,and the rear idler wheel is a solid one without the ribs/spokes.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 11:36:17 pm »
I've never seen a rear idler wheel with four relief holes like the one pictured on the Warlord M 10 .  Screw up ? Having two crews is a nice touch , but full figures or just a upper body / head swap ? Hard to tell from the pictures . Personally I would like the option of adding crew or not , so separate figures is what I want . And the more the merrier I say on companies making kits . You know you have to have at least one of each .... or six !

Patrick R

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 07:58:21 pm »
The 2016 Italeri preview is out with a 1/56th Churchill announced.

http://www.italeri.com/imgup/Preview%20Italeri%202016%281%29.pdf

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 09:24:38 pm »
Interesting - only the Churchill and M10 are mentioned.  They chose a good variant for the Churchill - plenty of useful options - but if that's it for 2016 it  looks as though Rubicon are well ahead now.  Italeri seems to prefer re- boxing existing kits for World of Tanks...

There's also a modular building, which is apparently for both 1/72 and 1/56 scale (which seems a bit of a cop-out).  It looks okay for what it is, but seems rather unambitious.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 05:40:52 pm by Pinky »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 10:28:48 pm »
I had assumed that the Churchill was a PSC one scaled up, though the NA 75mm is not on their option list.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 10:37:24 pm »
I had assumed that the Churchill was a PSC one scaled up, though the NA 75mm is not on their option list.

I assumed that too, but that wouldn't be released under the Italeri label.  It's Warlord itself that scales up PSC kits.  I think Rubicon mentioned that there was an M4A4 in the works - maybe that would be another scaled up PSC kit?

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 10:50:30 pm »
Exactly.

Hopefully that means there will not be the fill issue on the escape hatch that blights my 15mm ones, and you do not need to scratch build the AVRE gadget fixtures (there is a technical term, but I do not know it).

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 12:33:41 am »
I've never seen a rear idler wheel with four relief holes like the one pictured on the Warlord M 10 .  Screw up ?

Looks like a mistake.  Seems like a rather strange error to make when they've already produced this suspension so many time previously. 

Hopefully that means there will not be the fill issue on the escape hatch that blights my 15mm ones, and you do not need to scratch build the AVRE gadget fixtures (there is a technical term, but I do not know it).

We're getting off topic (it's a Rubicon site, after all), but what is missing from the PSC version?

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 02:00:00 am »
but what is missing from the PSC version?
If you check on the PSC site you can find the instructions (the reinforcements defintely have the sprue and assembly info).

The petard mortar is included, but the mounting point and the slide bracket on the side of the track plates that seems to feature on all pictures (used to attach dozer blades, bobbins etc.). I will see if I can find some unpainted photographs of my 15mm and message you.

Now back to the scheduled programme.... ^___^