Author Topic: Willys MB Jeep - More Plastic Upgrades 200131  (Read 116258 times)

jfariahitech

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Re: Willys MB - The Jeep - Updated 160308
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2016, 05:39:39 pm »
I want 4 x British Airborne version!!... at least!
And 4 x British SAS version too...

:D :D :D

chrismanu87

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2016, 08:35:25 pm »
Any closed-top version?

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2016, 09:20:59 pm »
Any closed-top version?

No hardtop but we will provide a canvas top option (might be removable)...

chrismanu87

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2016, 09:29:18 pm »
Any closed-top version?

No hardtop but we will provide a canvas top option (might be removable)...
Fantastic!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 03:21:56 am by chrismanu87 »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Willys MB - The Jeep - Updated 160315
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2016, 02:10:18 pm »
Things are moving slowly at the studio at the moment.  OEM projects incoming!!

Here is the first glimpse of the SAS/LRDG version of the Willys MB jeep...

Enjoy!
;)

stevepalffy

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2016, 03:11:36 pm »
Looking great....will be wanting a few boxes of these !

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2016, 04:16:57 pm »
This kit is coming along well.

I won't repeat the points about the later war SAS version; I think it could be improved, but I realise you've got limited sprue space and your researchers appear to have reached some different conclusions.  The model looks very cool and most people are going to be perfectly happy with it - especially once they've add some additional stowage.  It would be nice if there was a proper pedestal mount for the rear-facing K-guns, and a Bren gun for the driver's position, if they could be included.

I don't know what the 'Airborne' version represents.  The British Airborne Jeep (i.e. the version intended to be delivered by glider) didn't have the extra fuel tanks or rear armour - or the .50 cal.  The single K-gun mount is good for this version.  British Airborne Jeeps also had other modifications (listed in a post above), most of which can be replicated with some simple converting. 

The US Airborne version of the Jeep doesn't seem to have been modified.  US recon units would sometimes mount a .30 cal and .50 cal in front of the passenger, but US Jeeps didn't use the extra fuel tanks.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2016, 05:00:12 pm »
I won't repeat the points about the later war SAS version; I think it could be improved, but I realise you've got limited sprue space and your researchers appear to have reached some different conclusions.  The model looks very cool and most people are going to be perfectly happy with it - especially once they've add some additional stowage.  It would be nice if there was a proper pedestal mount for the rear-facing K-guns, and a Bren gun for the driver's position, if they could be included.

Will look into these when we move the project to the next phase.

I don't know what the 'Airborne' version represents.  The British Airborne Jeep (i.e. the version intended to be delivered by glider) didn't have the extra fuel tanks or rear armour - or the .50 cal.  The single K-gun mount is good for this version.  British Airborne Jeeps also had other modifications (listed in a post above), most of which can be replicated with some simple converting. 

The US Airborne version of the Jeep doesn't seem to have been modified.  US recon units would sometimes mount a .30 cal and .50 cal in front of the passenger, but US Jeeps didn't use the extra fuel tanks.

As mentioned in the photos, all the components are individual parts that can be mix and match.

The samples are just for convenient of putting them together... not an exact representation of what the gamer/modeler can do!  ;)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2016, 05:41:57 pm »
Looking good, and with Commonwealth crew.

I am looking forward to these (contradicting my "inner child" comment on the wish list thread). United Radionics might be interested in some patrol vehicles if a suitable head swap can be achieved...

Are you going to run into the same IP/trademark issue you had with the Blitz?

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2016, 05:52:17 pm »

Would like seems so... no Willys MB or Jeep on our product boxes!
:(

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2016, 06:48:43 pm »

:(
I have this nagging feeling the Jeep "logo" is the number of slots in the grill, though I could be wrong.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2016, 07:33:47 pm »
This is the US Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS): http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/

Is quite helpful if you know how to use it.  The word JEEP is TM'ed by Chrysler but not "Willys MB"...   ::)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2016, 11:28:52 pm »

It's such BS that these vehicle manufacturers are so anal about the use of their trademarks on model kits.  They're not losing any income - in fact it's arguably good for their brand.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2016, 02:39:58 am »

It's such BS that these vehicle manufacturers are so anal about the use of their trademarks on model kits.  They're not losing any income - in fact it's arguably good for their brand.

But being able to sell the licence is good for their bottom line. Wikipedia says there are more licenced shops in China selling Jeep brand shirts than Jeep dealers.

I am not a trade mark expert but I suspect that if you do not act to protect your IP it makes it difficult to licence. I suspect, but do not know that Tamiya etc probably have to licence the company names etc for their kits.

Cottage industry sized concerns probably fall beneath their legal departments' radar but "mass produced" products such as Our Gracious Host's would draw attention.

One good thing from the brand section on Wikipedia:

"A division of FCA US LLC, the most recent successor company to the Jeep brand, now holds trademark status on the name "Jeep" and the distinctive 7-slot front grille design. The original 9-slot grille associated with all World War II jeeps was designed by Ford for their GPW, and because it weighed less than the original "Slat Grille" of Willys (an arrangement of flat bars), was incorporated into the "standardized jeep" design".

I have not done a slat check.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2016, 02:42:08 am »
This is the US Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS): http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/

Is quite helpful if you know how to use it.  The word JEEP is TM'ed by Chrysler but not "Willys MB"...   ::)

Not very helpful.

How do you search for grills?

Design code 18.11.25?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 02:46:32 am by ultravanillasmurf »