Author Topic: Allied Stowage Set 1 - CLOSED!  (Read 35979 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Allied Stowage Set 1 - CLOSED!
« on: October 03, 2015, 07:43:34 pm »
Upcoming "Allied Stowage Kit 1"...

This is an improvement over our previous "German Stowage Kit 1" with more "creative" items!
Depending on how many can be fitted on a single sprue, most of these items will be included.  You will get TWO of these per pack... we are talking about VALUE pack!!!

In this lot, you will find quite a few unusual items, can you name them?

Enjoy!

;)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 12:03:15 pm by Rubicon Models »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Allied Stowage Kit 1
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 09:01:54 pm »
That's a very good selection of gear.  There are few items of soft stowage that are (I think) of dubious value.  Is it too late to make changes?

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 09:04:03 pm »
That's a very good selection of gear.  There are few items of soft stowage that are (I think) of dubious value.  Is it too late to make changes?
These are just prototypes... our mould making queue is full right now!  Don't think will fit all in a single sprue anyway!

;)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 11:00:36 pm »
Looks good . As a modeler I  would rather have more spare track / road wheels  and separate mg  ammo and wooden boxes than molded stacks of boxes and packs / tarps . What happens is, if you have a lot of models to add stuff to  , the piles of spare gear all look the same . Look at  Warlords resin Sherman DD .Why would you want 2 or 3 kits all looking like that ?  Check out the movie , Fury , every Sherman has the same type of gear but each crew has loaded on their tank in their own way , looks much more "real " than the same 3 box / 2 jerry can molded piece on the rear of each tank . Individual pieces make it a lot easier to customize each vehicle .

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 11:30:31 pm »
Ripley, you will get two sprues per kit (at least that's the plan).  The stacked gear are for those who wanted it "quick and dirty", plus you can "add" to it.    Furthermore you can rotate the stack to give it a different look from a different angle.  It is much easier for customers to load their truck with gear too!

If sales for both German and Allied stowage kits are good, we will release a 2nd stowage kit for both sometime next year again with a different set of items on them!

;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 01:34:10 am »
I'm actually fine with the large stack of crates - it's mostly going to end up as truck cargo, or as some kind of terrain.  I'm also fine with the ammo boxes moulded in rows.  I'm less keen on the smaller stack of boxes, as most of the detail is hidden under the tarp.  I agree with Ripley that more spare track would be good - you can never have too much of that!  And Allied tanks in NW Europe carried a lot of spare tracks. 

A few other suggestions:

- I'd suggest that instead of the later British oil cans (the 2 square cans next to the jerrycans) you included more typical British 'flimsies'.  See the comparison photo below.  This shows a 2 gallon can, a 4 gallon tin (non-returnable), aka 'flimsy', a 4 gallon returnable can (the BEF used these as well as flimsies) and a jerrycan for comparison.
- I'm not sure if it's the photo, but the large US infantry pack (the one with 2 pockets) looks too big.  There are also too many of them - they wouldn't normally appear on a tank.  Generally speaking, the smaller 'generic' packs are much more useful.
- by the same token, the arrangement of 2 packs under a blanket roll is a bit big, and will be hard to position on most tanks.
- the 2 bags on the right are of pretty marginal value.  As is the duffel bag (the one with the strap).  Trust me - I've added a lot of stowage to Allied vehicles!  What is missing is some bedrolls - these were very common on US and British tanks, and would be much more useful.
- any chance of some spare T-34 track?  Preferably in fairly short sections.  It's not likely you'll do a Soviet accessory set in a hurry...
- how about a funnel? British crews often carried a large square funnel for refuelling - see the 2nd photo below.
- most importantly, how about a British blanket box?  See the 3rd photo below for the types fitted to Shermans. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 01:37:03 am by Pinky »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 01:43:57 am »
Thanks for the input, Pinky.  Will look into that after Spiel.

;)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 11:42:41 am »
If there's room on the sprue , please add tow cable ends like you did on the German Stowage kit .  :)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 11:45:26 am »
If there's room on the sprue , please add tow cable ends like you did on the German Stowage kit .  :)
There are 4 tow cable ends per sprue... not shown!

;)

Yaquir

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 02:50:38 pm »
Very nice!

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 03:43:09 pm »
There are a number of great items there. Individual back packs are useful, building them from scratch is time consuming and requires a great deal of skill. Making bedrolls and tarpaulins from greenstuff is easier than trying to make premade items fit. It also allows you to bed the other items in.

Pinky's suggestions get a thumbs up from me, they would be great for your only British usable model (the Crusader). Additional tools, shovels, picks etc. would be useful, some vehicle crews reportedly bundled their tools in their kit to stop pilferage (and replace moulded in place items).

I would suggest the stacks, with or without tarpaulins might be better as loads and possibly either as resins or a separate set.

I suspect the US infantry back packs are for the M3 rather than the tanks, but would be redundant for me.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 05:14:03 pm »
Making bedrolls and tarpaulins from greenstuff is easier than trying to make premade items fit. It also allows you to bed the other items in.

...except for those of us who are too lazy and prefer to modify something from a kit!

I suspect the US infantry back packs are for the M3 rather than the tanks, but would be redundant for me.

And for the forthcoming US truck kit.  But I think it's a case of too much of a good thing...

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 05:26:29 pm »
You get twice as many US rucksacks than what you need in most US infantry packs anyway
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

bull-nut

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 12:31:12 am »
More single Commonwealth backpacks would be helpful as well, no Commonwealth infantry kit I have found includes enough for vehicle stowage as well.

Laffe

• Private
    • View Profile
    • The Figure Fanatic Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 01:01:29 am »
Yep, second that. With you having released the crusader we need kit to put on it since the practice of crews in the desert were to have an escape kit with water and similar on the outside of the tank in case they had to bail out.