Author Topic: UVS models: Salute 2021 11/12/2020  (Read 199671 times)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: UVS models
« Reply #225 on: June 11, 2017, 03:20:22 pm »
I think the additional weathering is great the way it is.  I'd call this one done. 

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #226 on: June 11, 2017, 04:04:47 pm »
Thanks.

Now to finish off the Hetzer (and the Katyusha) and start assembly on the M4A3E8 (once I have a colour scheme).

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 11, 2017, 09:47:54 pm »
The wheels look good , Nice use of the hooks / tow cable from the BA 251 , I should have  thought of that  :-[

This is the Puma the Brits captured and returned to the UK for testing , after testing they used it as a range target !  It looks pretty beat up for late 44 , so I would assume any that lasted to "46 would probably be in real rough shape , like this one

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #228 on: June 12, 2017, 01:37:39 am »
Thanks for the positive comments.

I did wonder about following Ripley's lead and removing the door from one of the stowage boxes. Mangling the mudguards like the picture above is well beyond me.

One feature of the model are the two fuel drums.

When I looked at this photograph, do you know what crossed my mind?

One hole in the front of the drum and the fuel will run down the top of the mudguard straight on to the hot exhaust box. Fun will not ensue.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 12, 2017, 09:38:50 am »
IRC ,, the Puma had a Tatra  Diesel engine , so not as dangerous as gas

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 12, 2017, 11:10:41 am »
One hole in the front of the drum and the fuel will run down the top of the mudguard straight on to the hot exhaust box. Fun will not ensue.

Nevertheless, fuel drums were sometimes carried on engine decks.  I assume you'd drop them when you got to the combat zone.

One small point I noticed is the black on the exhausts.  It looks a bit solid.  Can you drybrush some more black over it to make it look more like soot and less like an oil stain?

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #231 on: June 12, 2017, 03:18:48 pm »
@Ripley: yes you are right it is a diesel.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SdKfz_234

@Pinky: I will have a go at feathering the edges a bit. The muzzle break could do with some soot as well, the black s a bit stark.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 13, 2017, 02:17:43 pm »
@Ripley: yes you are right it is a diesel.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SdKfz_234

@Pinky: I will have a go at feathering the edges a bit. The muzzle break could do with some soot as well, the black s a bit stark.

Blackened muzzles are just artistic licence.  There would be some discolouration over time, and loss of paint around the edges, but not the sooty black look that modellers like.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 02:21:31 pm by Pinky »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #233 on: June 13, 2017, 03:53:37 pm »
True, since the deployment of smokeless powder at the end of the 19th century, except for Northover Projectors.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #234 on: June 23, 2017, 02:01:49 am »
More uses for the Allied Stowage set, plus uses for the bits left over from building the SDKFZ253.

An Empress Carden Loyd MMG carrier. For some reason the model is not supplied with the tripod for using the Vickers off of the vehicle. The tripod from the Rubicon SDKFZ250/253 kit was shortened and added to the glacis.

Also a use for the middle two boxes (left over from the two end ones being used on turret boxes).

Painted in a dark green (Citadel Caliban Green) as a vehicle pressed into service.

Still awaiting transfers and final weathering.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 02:04:15 am by ultravanillasmurf »

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 23, 2017, 10:20:16 pm »
 Cool little vehicle 8)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #236 on: June 25, 2017, 09:46:20 pm »
Epic Fail on my Spot Hidden roll...

As I mentioned, I have an unfinished T34/85. I have decided that is my next project to finish.

So I looked through my sprues boxes for the remaining bits and pulled the instructions out of the instructions folder.

No sprue C (lights, tool boxes and one fuel tank - the others being in the sub assemblies box for the T34).

Turns out that I had looked at the sprue and thought it was one of the Tiger sprues.

The illustration that will be is inspiration is the bottom photograph on page 33 of the Tankograd book on the East German T34. Lots of stowage.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 25, 2017, 11:41:45 pm »
Nice little vehicle .Great use of the stowage bits . Really hope Rubicon make a more generic stowage set , maybe with suit cases , small barrels / kegs ,  a bicycle , even saw a picture of a piano on the rear deck of a T-34 :o . I've pretty much picked clean all my HO train and 1/35 scale stuff that would work for 1/56 .

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #238 on: June 26, 2017, 03:13:46 am »
Ainsty do some metal suitcases and pots and pans (I have not been able to find them on the site).

When I find mine I will put a photograph here (plus I will have the code).

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #239 on: June 26, 2017, 03:19:10 am »
The T34. The inspiration is from the Tankograd book on the East German T34s. Particularly the one on page 31 which is stacked with stowage.

I have added some more hand rails (aided by the Bill Bedford Hand Rail Jig).

The fuel drums are just sitting there at the moment (I need to add some straps). I have also added one of the German tool boxes on the turret bustle (it is not quite the right shape).

One feature of the East German T34s was the addition of a Notek driving lamp.

The lamp is made from plastic rod and strip, with a brush guard from 0.7mm brass rod.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 03:31:38 am by ultravanillasmurf »