Author Topic: UVS models: Salute 2021 11/12/2020  (Read 199658 times)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: UVS models
« Reply #195 on: February 12, 2017, 01:57:46 am »
Looks good , nice paint job . What color did you use ?

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #196 on: February 12, 2017, 02:57:52 am »
Thanks.

The base is PSC British Tank Green Spray over Citadel Chaos Black spray.

I have highlighted some edges with a mix of Vallejo WW2 Russian Green (best match to the PSC British green) and Vallejo Old Wood (also used on the crates).

Tyres are Vallejo Black Grey, soft stowage is various Vallejo and Citadel greens. The tarp over the crate is Vallejo US Olive Drab.

I do wish I had left the WD Jerry can in the base green, not convinced that a wash will bring out the lettering.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 12, 2017, 03:25:19 pm »
Great to see some paint on it.  I haven't tried the Vallejo Russian Green yet, but the PSC spray seems to give very good coverage.

After seeing Rubicon's prototype Firefly, I'm seriously considering ditching my WiP Warlord Sherman Vs.  There are too many irritations - the moulded-on appliqué armour, mis-shapen commander's hatch, and general heavy-handedness.  I might just wait for Rubicon's kit.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #198 on: February 12, 2017, 04:48:21 pm »
Thanks.

The Vallejo Russian Uniform green is not a perfect match, but better than the dark yellow match.

On the Cromwell below, you can see the difference in colour on the cowl.

It is fairly easy to blend in.

The Vallejo dark yellow is rather too green, very obvious on the liberated jerry can.

Both have now gained their decals. The Cromwell's squadron identifier will appear here later (M5A1 small invasion star).

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 12, 2017, 11:08:59 pm »
Just give the Jerry can a black wash , before washing the whole tank in the brown wash . A little practice and it all works out  ::) . Some of the colors I use look horrid before adding washes , always great to show people works in progress  :o I've used AV Model Color Dark Grey for Panzer Grey cans . As well AV MC Green Ochre , AV Model Air Dark Yellow and Humbrol Matt 94 as variations of German Panzer Yellow . Of course a black or  brown wash , weather the Army Painter varieties or the GW stuff , makes a world of difference . Neat effect to paint half a dozen cans in one color , but use  a different wash for each  . Depends how crazy you want to be  ::)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #200 on: February 13, 2017, 12:50:10 am »
@Pinky - yes the Sherman V is a lot lumpy, it looks like an older kit than the original M4 kit. But, it will probably be a couple of years before Rubicon get round to delivering them so I am going to persevere with them (good practice). I still have four of the M4 kits to do something with.

@Ripley - thanks. The four on the back of the Crusader are all different colours. A good idea to use the black wash on the darker green, I will give it a try.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #201 on: February 13, 2017, 12:59:17 am »
A use for all those Invasion Stars that litter decal sheets.

The photographs of 2nd Welsh Guards Cromwells in the book British Tanks In Normandy show the squadron mark on the stowage boxes adjacent to the turret.

No decal set has a suitably sized mark for any of the squadrons (even the one that comes with the kit).

Luckily, the small invasion stars off the Rubicon M5A1 set are almost the right size.

This one had the star roughly cut out before application, it went on okay, but its counterpart on the other side disintegrated and was removed.

After making a mess of the first attempt on this side, I just used the decal as is, and then painted the star out with Vallejo Russian Uniform green.

Lots of Decalfix was required, and it ate the black paint on the tow rope. It needs a further tidy up.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 01:01:05 am by ultravanillasmurf »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 13, 2017, 01:22:20 am »
Looks great . Nice save with the decals . 

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #203 on: February 19, 2017, 05:41:48 pm »
Distractions...
A British Galahad Armoured Infantryman supported by a Rubicon M5A1.

And a British Steel Armoured Infantryman.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 20, 2017, 02:53:11 am »
Tank looks great . Troopers look great as well , weird but great  ;D Konflik 46/7 ?

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #205 on: February 20, 2017, 05:59:51 am »
The top one is a Warlord Konflikt 47 Galahad, the bottom a West Wind SOTR British Steel suit.

They will both probably end up  being used for Konflikt 47.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #206 on: April 24, 2017, 02:59:28 pm »
Very quiet on the World War Two modelling front. I have added a couple of crates to my Katyusha but I forgot to get any Russian tank paint at Salute.

I include this here as it has a Rubicon bucket and flimsy can as part of the stowage.

Still deciding on the markings (it is intended to be a tank brought out of storage and pressed into British service after the fall of France).

I do need to paint the inside of the bucket, as we!L as final tidying and weathering.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 26, 2017, 11:49:17 am »
I like this colour.  I am planning to try it out soon.  Do you know what colour would be best to use for the earlier, khaki colour applied to British tanks?  I need to paint a Lend-Lease Churchill.

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 26, 2017, 11:30:32 pm »
Pinky - is it Khaki Green No.3 you're after? It's generally a bit of of bugger to find a single paint analogue for it, but if you're happy with Vallejo Mike Starmer produced the recipe for a mix that's regarded as being pretty good (see swatch below - the small patch of Brown Violet is there to show it's innaccuracy - Battlefront recommend BV & it's not even close). Hope it's helpful...

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #209 on: April 27, 2017, 01:30:56 am »
How does that compare to Vallejo Russian Uniform Green? have a look at the Cromwell cowl to see how it compares to PSC British Tank spray.