Author Topic: UVS models: Salute 2021 11/12/2020  (Read 199669 times)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: UVS models
« Reply #150 on: January 04, 2017, 11:54:54 pm »
The initial photograph was to show the size of the track rack.

The engine deck will take some time to populate (which is where the tools on my wish list would be useful).

The soft plastic is easy to carve, I have removed the tools from the deck and replaced them with one of the German crates.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2017, 12:12:35 am »
I still can't get Warlord and Rubicon plastics to bond properly, using liquid cement.  The pieces come apart under pressure.  I use superglue, which is a bit annoying as it has a tendency to flow into any recessed detail nearby.

Try Plastic Magic from Deluxe Materials, great stuff!  Think FA stock them too!

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2017, 12:29:26 am »
Try Plastic Magic from Deluxe Materials, great stuff!  Think FA stock them too!

"FA"? Something to do with kicking a pigs bladder about?

^___^

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 05, 2017, 05:40:23 am »
I don't have the Sherman V , yet , but I did build the BA M4 . Your right , the on vehicle tools are way too flat looking , so I replaced some with Plastruct plastic round rod at least for the wooden handles . I used 1.3 or 1.5 mm rod for the handle and cut slices of 2mm rod as the tie downs / tool strapping . Also made that large track wrench , sledge hammer and the engine crank which the kit was missing . Also added a crank to the rear of my Stug III  , as well a long handled shovel to the nose of my early Tiger I .  We really do need a full set of scale US/ Brit ( shovels are different ) and German vehicle tool sets , most molded on stuff is terrible IMO . And don't even get me started on the jacks on BA's Panzer IVs . I've had to rebuild 6 so far  ::)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #154 on: January 06, 2017, 02:24:09 am »
More pictures of the work in progress Studebaker kit.
BM-13 mode.

The only part shared between the cargo and MRL version is the spare wheel. I used the kit version on the MRL build.

The cargo build used one of the spare wheels from the Allied stowage set. I used two pieces of 0.30" square rod to raise the wheel.

And assembled.

I have some other stowage to add to the model (those front mudguards are just crying out for some tools and other stowage).

I have some suitable square section rod that should make some rocket boxes.

Once it warms up a bit I will undercoat it.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 07, 2017, 10:08:23 pm »
Red Army Studebakers don't seem to have carried much stowage.  The only thing they seemed to have carried on the front mudguard is soldiers....

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #156 on: January 07, 2017, 10:40:41 pm »
Red Army Studebakers don't seem to have carried much stowage, apart from some jerrycans stashed on the bumper.  The only thing they seemed to have carried on the front mudguards is soldiers....

And very uncomfortable they look too...

I think the Studebaker book has the crew desperately clinging on (it might be the Osprey MRL book).

Pioneer tools live on the rear chassis extension, but that would interfere with the cargo body.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 07, 2017, 11:25:28 pm »
Of course there's no room in the truck box , its full of ammo for the 76mm gun their towing  ;D

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 08, 2017, 12:33:24 pm »
If that's the case, this gun has a very large crew!

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #159 on: January 08, 2017, 04:58:24 pm »
If that's the case, this gun has a very large crew!

It is for Bolt Action, so the Soviets get one free squad.

^___^

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #160 on: January 08, 2017, 06:46:07 pm »
Not WW2 but interesting use of greenstuff.

http://www.thecommguild.com/roller/thecommguild/entry/modeling-tutorial-epirian-contractor-gas

http://www.thecommguild.com/roller/thecommguild/entry/all-your-base-tutorial-part1

For those in the UK, The Works (suppliers of cheap books, hobby supplies and tat) often have the clay or colour shapers very cheap (they look like paintbrushes with solid silicon for the brush bit).

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 09, 2017, 12:01:44 am »
Very cool smurf , I need fern type leaves for some jungle bases for my Japanese , I'll give this method a try . It's almost fool proof so it should work for me  ;D

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #162 on: January 09, 2017, 12:47:33 am »
A visit to The Works this morning supplied me with these:

I have not used them yet, the Sherman work was last night.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 12:56:41 am by ultravanillasmurf »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #163 on: January 09, 2017, 12:53:37 am »
More work on the Sherman V.

Rubicon's Allied Stowage set supplied the British Toolbox on the left side, two crates from the German set were added to the right side and the rear of the engine deck. The rear crate had mounting clips added using microstrip.
Then I added the pegs for soft stowage and a couple of pieces of square section plastruct tube.

The soft stowage on the engine decks was completed in three bits (to allow the previous pieces to set).

Rear view.

Of note when assembling this kit, the instructions are incorrect when it comes to the fire extinguishers, the tube part faces toward the rear, check the photographs, the example in the IWM has the brackets but no extinguisher.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 01:05:14 am by ultravanillasmurf »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 09, 2017, 02:06:43 am »
Also seen pictures of them mounted vertically behind the side lift rings on the turret .  Probably moved there as it might be hard to grab from the rear deck when your gears on fire !