Author Topic: UVS models: Salute 2021 11/12/2020  (Read 199660 times)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: UVS models
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2016, 11:34:09 pm »
I missed this update.  The colour looks right (in fact it looks just like my Airfix Crusaders, which were painted in Humbrol "8th Army Desert Sand").  I think it needs some more shading though, to add some depth to the colour and make the rivet detail 'pop'.  Nothing too dramatic - just a subtle wash.  I wouldn't overdo the rust effects; contrary to the belief of a lot of modellers that tanks should be rust-streaked, in fact most AFVs didn't last long enough to develop the level of rusting that's common on models. 

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2016, 04:10:56 pm »
Thanks.

The base was Humbrol 93 dry brushed with Humbrol 237. I used Desert Yellow (93) as the base coat for my Perry  Eighth Army figures.

I agree about the rust, the only bits I deliberately rust are spare track, and in this case only sparingly.

I have used some Citadel Earthshade on joints and for shading raised detail, but they do look a bit like rust (I normally use original Citadel Flesh Wash for rust streaks and shading). The Citadel Nuln oil might be better for the joints, I used it round the turret hatch.

What has surprised me is the difference between my "daylight" work light and flash photographs.

Work light:

Flash:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 04:30:37 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2016, 05:58:44 pm »
Looking good.  I think your flash has bleached out some of the shading.  Maybe a bit of wear and tear on the paint around the hatches?  Again, 'chipping' is often wildly overdone, but some bare metal would look realistic.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2016, 03:32:55 am »
Well, Salute provided a few things to build and paint...

I also bought some PSC British Tank spray useful as only one of the above is not going to be undercoated green.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2016, 07:12:30 am »
So, the Hetzer has been assembled.

There is some work required on the tracks at the rear:

I have fitted the exhaust set with the silencer.

And the other side:

I have fitted the driver's periscope with the cover, later models deleted the armoured cover but it was fitted with a rain cover.

I am not sure there is much to add, none of the photographs I have found of Hetzers show any additional equipment attached. Photographs of the similar G13 are a another matter.

Now will the weather be suitable for spray painting on Saturday?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 07:15:38 am by ultravanillasmurf »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2016, 07:56:27 am »
So yours is an early version.  It's a great kit, isn't it.  The level of detail and precision is very high.

You're right about the lack of stowage on these vehicles (which is odd considering how little more internal space they had - where did the crew put all their stuff?).  You sometimes see a jerrycan slung on the side.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2016, 03:49:09 pm »
I was using the May 1945 model from the Osprey modelling book as inspiration, it is based on the US Aberdeen Proving Ground example. It has the plain silencer and the covered periscope. The instructions do not say which is which but the picture of the Camp Borden example on page 74 shows the C frame periscope and is labeled "Early". Post war and museum pictures are of course not reliable.

The October 1944 upgrade does seem to describe the periscope with the light metal cover, unfortunately it also describes the replacement of the (plain) silencer. Oh, and I put the notch in the plate for the other exhaust.

Have you also noticed how many pictures are posed so the barrel obscures the periscope?

On the title page of the Osprey New Vanguard (2001 edition) they have discovered a right hand drive example, which is almost identical to the left hand drive one on page 4.

There is a picture on page 7 of the Horst Scheibert book that shows a Hetzer that if it was an American M3 would have the crew up on report for untidiness.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2016, 08:49:15 pm »
Right hand drive , must be a proto type vehicle , as the Pzr 38 T chassis it was based on was RHD .  ( and Marder III ) . Really don't see much beyond a couple of jerry cans as on vehicle stowage in any WW2 pictures I've found , and lots of tree braches as cammo . Any that have the long rows of track hung vertically , look to be post war G 13s , as that was SOP for the Swiss vehicles . And of course lots of stowage on the many model kits shown on various sites , we modelers have to use up all those neat plastic and resin detail parts cluttering up our parts box  :) . IMO the angle of the vehicle sides is just too steep to really make it worth trying to keep stowage there . Plus the naked Hetzer was a small vehicle that could slip into the woods easily , I'm thinking with stowage it would get hung up or you'ld just lose it , knocked of by branches . There's a great walk around article on Armorama  , lots of in detail picture of the Hetzer . Plus lots of drawing of  color schemes  and a photo gallery on the Tank Encyclopedia site .
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 09:00:24 pm by ripley »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2016, 11:19:32 pm »
The photo on the first page of the Osprey book has just been reversed.  Everything on the vehicle is the opposite of where it should be - even the Notek light. The photo on page 4 is the same photo only the right way around.

I thought yours is meant to be an early version because the muffler on the exhaust was replaced with the Flamm-Vernichter in October 1944.  The perforated stowage box was replaced earlier - Rubicon's instructions are wrong on that point.  I think yours should have the armoured visor and earlier roadwheels, but there were a lot of inconsistencies.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 11:27:55 pm by Pinky »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2016, 04:19:20 am »
It was supposed to be a very late War one, hence using the May 1945 article from the Osprey modelling book.

The silencer cover (heat guard) was deleted May-June 1944, so this silencer is valid between then and October.when the short exhaust replaced it and the new periscope was used. So it is a transition model built in October.

Hopefully I will get the next one right ^___^.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2016, 07:51:19 am »
Don't worry about it . German WW2 factories started using new parts as soon  they were delivered , when they ran out , they went back to using the old parts till more new ones arrived . That's why you see A panther hulls with D turrets , and 80 mm nose armored hull  Stugs with 50 mm plus 30 mm bolted driver plates .  I've seen pictures of  Hetzers with a mix of old and new parts , even one with different hole patterns in each of  the idler wheels .  Just make sure you bring a photo to prove it to the judges at a hobby show  ::)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2016, 09:11:57 am »
The silencer cover (heat guard) was deleted May-June 1944, so this silencer is valid between then and October.when the short exhaust replaced it and the new periscope was used. So it is a transition model built in October.

Yeah, you're right.  There was an interim exhaust configuration.  In terms of small production details like this, the Jagdpanzer 38t is almost as confusing as the Sherman.  I built mine as a late version, but I think I used the wrong towing hook configuration.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2016, 05:48:57 am »
Work in Progress Stuart VI.

The turret is the earlier format, as is the hull. There are some areas that need tidying up (visible at this magnification) and stowage needs to be added.

Thanks to Pinky for the research on usage.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 05:50:40 am by ultravanillasmurf »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2016, 08:37:55 am »
It's such a cool little model...

I found it's necessary to use some filler along the top of the glacis.  And on the turret rear.  Otherwise it went together very nicely.

Are you keeping the sandshields?  Seems appropriate, given the Brits were keen on them.  I look forward to seeing it stowed up with UVS-style stowage.  What colour will you paint it?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 09:54:53 am by Pinky »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2016, 04:38:33 pm »
It's such a cool little model...
It is, now any idea where I can get the parts of a 1/56 scale 1969 Cadillac Eldorado for the next one? I have a crew for it.

My main problem was getting the gun mantlet in place. This is the second attempt.

The Irish Guards picture from BTIN has the sandshields missing, so I will leave them off. It does leave the rear lower hull looking very exposed.

Colour is an interesting point. Theoretically as a US supplied vehicle it should be Olive Drab, but then my existing M4 Shermans should also be in the same colour. I will probably use PSC British Tank spray which is close to Vallejo Russian Uniform green.

Interestingly the plates in Camouflage and Markings - Armour in Theatre Normandy Campaign: British and Canadian forces Volume 2 from Scale armour Modelling have the British vehicles in a shade of green. Though in the text it does say the British version of Olive Drab was slightly green.