Author Topic: Jagdpanzer 38 Hetzer - Prototype 171228  (Read 48150 times)

Jimmy_P

• Private
    • View Profile
Re: Jagdpanzer 38 Hetzer - NEW Expansion Kit?? 171218
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2017, 05:31:21 pm »

I'd be surprised if there were the interest/demand for this justified the cost of plastic tooling, even if it's only a couple of extra parts. Or are Rubicon thinking the additional conversion parts needed be in resin?
Resin conversion parts to expand the range in a (relatively) cheap way, and to cover some (potentially) lower demand variants was something that had been talked about before?

I do like the leveraging of some of the different expansion kits in alternate combinations this way though, it is a neat idea.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2017, 08:57:25 pm »
I think it would be a shame for Rubicon to go down the route of ever more obscure German subjects.  Even if it's going to be German ('cos German stuff sells) there are so many better subjects than things like this - like the Bergepanzer 38(t) I mentioned, or a Bergpanther conversion.  Or parts to build the recovery versions of various other existing Rubicon tanks.  The US and British recovery vehicles are very interesting subjects.  It may involve more parts, but it would fill real gaps in the range.

I don't understand the reference to a "new" Bergepanzer chassis.  The Bergepanzer had a lower, open-topped superstructure.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 09:08:29 pm by Pinky »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2017, 09:09:35 pm »
I think all the negative comments are more disapointment  rather than hatred for the kit . As others have said , lots of worthy subjects  that served in combat in numbers , so why do a one off kit ? Its the same in 1/35 market , lots and lots of new Panthers out there  , but no new Bergepanther . Not even a hint of one ,and that the beast every German tank modeler wants . And only having 2 companies producing 1/56 plastic kits , every new release is hopefully , one step closer to our favorite tank . These left field projects don't get us closer to our wanted Ram , Sturm Tiger or ISU 152

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2017, 10:54:00 pm »
We are really surprised to see a heated debate about our company direction as to what project to tackle in the future.

As stated, this is simply a pilot study to see what we can do with our existing products to create new ones with minimal efforts.  For example, this "vehicle" (disregard of its original) is a NEW product by using a SINGLE piece component (in this case, a new hull) and combining two existing products to create.  We just do not see what is wrong with this approach.  With similar product in our future range, we can combine a Panzer IV and a FlaK 36 to create an 8.8cm FlaK 36 auf PzKpfw IV Ausf H by creating a new upper hull.  Is this also not good?

With the same logic, we can create deep wading gear, dozer blades, mine flail, rocket launcher (T34 Calliope), and extra amours for the M4 Sherman range.  This also applies to combining other new and upcoming products (AA/AT guns) to create new tank variants too!

Is this a wrong approach to help increase our product range for the community?  All these require minimal efforts.  Might be not common vehicles, but still in demand for late war scenarios.  Also, these will definitely not affect our normal production schedule as these minor projects will be handled by trainee staff, and produced in limited quantity.  Other companies like Forgeworld had been doing this with GW plastic range for years, we are no different in that respect.

Looking forward for more comments on this subject?
;)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 11:06:34 pm by Rubicon Models »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2017, 11:55:11 pm »
I might be misunderstanding Rubicon's intentions and the concerns being expressed by other contributors to the forum.

I see this as being a way of Rubicon adding to their range through minimal additional tooling. In this case an additional upper hull (replacing part A05? Of the existing Jpanzer 38) and possibly some additional bits that fit on a half size sprue.

As I mentioned I do not have access to my books at the moment, but would assume that other JPanzer 38 variants could use the same development and/or components.

My (possibly flawed) understanding of the concerns being expressed relate to time for other projects being diverted to this project. While I have a whole list of other vehicles I would like to see, I assume that like the fence project, this is not taking development time from other projects.

Without a deeper understanding of your start to finish process from idea to boxed product, I can only guess that projects like this can fit in to  your process. Plus they will sell more of your existing kits which can fund further development of those vehicles we want.

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2017, 12:34:11 am »
If it means I could potentially get an M32 expansion for my shermans I’ll be more than happy.

Personally, I have nothing against paper (or mild steel) panzers but I think it’s that which has caused the debate, and not the process.

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2017, 12:59:57 am »
I see that the 3-D image is different; it's now a revised hull piece, which may or may not be intended to be part of a Bergepanzer 38(t) upgrade, although it has a turret ring (perhaps a separate part).  It might help if that was clarified. 

My issue with the concept which was presented is that it isn't really anything at the moment.  I think if we were looking at useful upgrades to existing kits, then the reaction would be quite different.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 08:19:57 am by Pinky »

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2017, 07:25:24 am »
I posted the following during the Panzer IV discussion. If this is the sort of thing you have in mind I'll be very pleased.

I wonder whether it would be possible to modify it via an expansion kit to make an Ausf C. I think 3 small pieces would correct the turret (new mantlet and side access hatches). The hull machine gun would need to be removed and replaced with a plate that is flat with the driver's. The real tanks were a centimetre different in width (nothing in 1/56 scale).

Jaeger

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2017, 07:59:31 am »
With the many comments about Bergpanzers how many components of them we common to all.
Is the anchor spade on the  Berg Panther the same as the FAMO and the Bergpanzer 38t?
Did the Berg Panzer and Berg Panther use the same Boom pieces?  Would they fit on the Panther G turret?
The Berg Panzer III, the Berg Panzer IV and Berg Panther had a wooden superstructure, could an expansion kit supply the pieces to build one of them.  Don't forget the winch.
Also common between them are timbers, block and tackle, cables, tools and part crates.
The M32/M32B1 Tank Recovery Vehicle could be an upgrade kit for Shermans like the ones done for German halftracks.
Or a BARV  or M31/M31B1/M31B2 .
Just a thought.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Jagdpanzer 38 Hetzer - One Piece Hull 171224
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2017, 02:59:49 pm »
A single one-piece modified Bergepanzerwagen 38 chassis in resin...

Enjoy!
;)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2017, 04:54:12 pm »
All becomes slightly clearer.

Does that mean there is a Bergepanzer upper hull as well?

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2017, 11:05:33 am »
So this is just the hull for the hypothetical recon version.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Jagdpanzer 38 Hetzer - Prototype 171228
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2017, 02:07:02 pm »
Mixing two kits with a new one piece hull...

Enjoy!
;)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2017, 04:45:57 pm »
Very nice.

I wonder how many points it costs in Bolt Action (must dig out the points table).

So is there a Bergepanzer as well (we are never satisfied).

As a diversion, what about another joint project with Heer 46 for a 38(t) based APC?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 04:51:41 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2017, 04:56:13 pm »
Found the design rules.http://www.wwpd.net/2017/05/bolt-action-vehicle-design-system.html
Normal caveats apply.