Author Topic: Digital Sculpts - German Officer in Heer Uniform 200730  (Read 264204 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Digital Sculpts - Various 151024
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2015, 11:54:24 pm »
Thanks H0ffmn, will pass that info onto our studio guys for revision!

;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2015, 12:33:57 am »
I have one concern about the figures that are being planned, and this comes back to the plastic that Rubicon uses.  It's not as easy to work with as Warlord's, and (as I've pointed out a few times), Rubicon's plastic doesn't bond with other manufacturers' (e.g. Warlord/Italeri, or Tamiya).  This potentially limits the scope for conversion - and one of the joys of this scale is converting the figures.  Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2015, 02:02:51 am »
I have not had any problems with my Humbrol liquid poly, but I have not tried combining Rubicon with any one else's plastic yet.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2015, 09:41:19 am »
I use Tamiya liquid cement to assemble my Rubicon kits, and it works fine (my Revell cement didn't).  But when I tried attaching Tamiya accessories to my Rubicon vehicles, the bond was very poor - they don't melt together properly.

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2015, 03:08:48 pm »
I use revell and never had any issues.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 05:11:32 pm »
...the bond was very poor - they don't melt together properly.

I had that issue with some GW plastics, but not as bad as Target's figures which inexplicably they had moulded in ABS.

Slightly off topic, sorry.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2015, 11:12:18 pm »
Had been really busy with a 3rd party project, and with much delays... here is some 3D prints based on our 1/56 (28mm) scale digital sculpts:

A comparison with a Tamiya 1/48 plastic figure sprue:

A comparison with a Perry 1/56 plastic figure sprue with our figures at 100% and 105% scale:

A comparison with a Warlord 1/56 plastic figure sprue with our figures at 100% and 105% scale:

At this point, we are still trying to find a balance between these brands in terms of scale, figure proportion, and functionality.
C&C much appreciated!

;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Digital Sculpts - Updated 151029
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2015, 12:25:57 am »
Warlord figures are very squat looking - almost dwarf-like.  They also tend to be posed 'heroically' (i.e. with their legs apart and knees bent).  Tamiya figures (which are too big anyway) all have legs like catwalk models, so ignore them.  The Perry figures seem to be a better template.  I don't think your figures should be any taller than the Perry figures.  Maybe slightly smaller than the "100%" version?

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2015, 01:08:30 am »
Warlord figures are very squat looking - almost dwarf-like.  They also tend to be posed 'heroically' (i.e. with their legs apart and knees bent).  Tamiya figures (which are too big anyway) all have legs like catwalk models, so ignore them.  The Perry figures seem to be a better template.  I don't think your figures should be any taller than the Perry figures.  Maybe slightly smaller than the "100%" version?

For the average gamers, all have a huge collection of "heroic" scale figures. 

They usually complained the Perry figures are smaller in size and tend not to use them even though they are very nice.  This is also the key reason we make ours a bit larger, yet keeping the proportion more true-to-scale as the Perry's.

If we are to do TRUE 1/56 SCALE figures, they will be around 18% smaller than it is now...  ::)

We are looking for a "standard prototype" for our figures so that they will be:
- comparable in size and "feel" with other manufacturers when they are placed together on the gaming table
- look natural enough anatomically in terms of body proportion and scale
- heads to be able to wear "heroic-size" helmets and caps
- hands to be able to hold "exaggerate-scaled" hand weapons
- be able to fit into our vehicles with ease

Not an easy task... but once done, we will be able to churn out figures in various poses with ease!
;)

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 04:23:49 pm by Rubicon Models »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2015, 02:26:14 am »
I am one of those that feel that the Bolt Action (metal) and Perry Miniatures figures are too different to use together.

Of course, YMMV.

However BA do not do North African theatre figures, so I just use Perry figures for them. Currently I have only Perry vehicles, though your Panzer III is probably going to be a DAK one and at Warfare I hope to get two Crusaders, one of which will end up as a tank.

I would almost want Perry compatible figures for North Africa and BA compatible for 1944+ Europe, though that would be commercially non-viable.

The Tamiya 38mm figures are not a good comparison for size.

I am not sure if am comparing them correctly, but the 100% figures look nearly a head taller than both BA and Perry. I know when this was being discussed elsewhere [url][http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/perry-miniatures-eighth-army-comparison.html[url] that I had difficulty finding a figure from either with a neutral standing pose.

Any chance of a picture of the various size figures against a rule?

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2015, 08:20:35 am »
Wow , quite a variety in sizes . Really don't know much about the difference in various company's  1/56 , 28 mm figures , I'm more a 1/35 scale modeler with a few ( about 30 ) 1/56 scale tanks and a couple of boxes of troops  . From what I've seen most 1/35   companys figures rarely match other company's figures , size wise . Mini Art are huge ( 1/32 maybe ) , Master Box seem on the slender size of 1/35 , some Tamiya are right on the money , others ...not !  Dragon's figures  are all over the place depending on the year they were made  , and even the canteens and ammo pouches vary in size , some I've used as 1/56 crew kit .  I really think Rubicon should pick a size that matches their kits . Please post some pictures of your figures next to one of your Tigers , Shermans and 251 halftrack . Your average gamer will use what ever figures come with the kit , your modeler type will kit bash the figures to fit the vehicles better or to match the rest of his figures . From the pictures you've posted I would think a 97 or 95 % figure would split the difference on the plastic Perry and Warlord figures . Metals are another story all together  ;D

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Digital Sculpts - Updated 151101
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2015, 04:38:55 pm »
Here is a quick post of our PIP of the 3D test sculpts:

Will post more after they are finished!
;)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2015, 05:14:18 pm »
They look really good, which size are they?

Please can you show them against a scale: "Usual Suspects" style that would be great.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2015, 02:03:48 pm »
Here is more painted 3D test sculpts for your comments:

A SdKfz 251/1D for size comparison:

C&C welcome!
;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Digital Sculpts - Updated 151102
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2015, 12:46:30 am »
Could we see them next to a built and painted Warlord plastic German?