Author Topic: SdKfz 251/1 Ausf C & Expansion Kits - 250/7 & 251/2 TS1 Painted 170110  (Read 88459 times)

rijklau

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Re: SdKfz 251/1 Ausf C & Expansion Kits
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2015, 10:39:08 am »
You seem to be getting the hang of sculpting crew.  The 3D prototypes look very good.

My only comment is to make sure that your final uniforms are appropriate for the variant they're intended for.  I know you're not focused on uniform detail yet, but the Ausf C was essentially a mid-war vehicle, so the crew wouldn't be in late war uniforms.  It'd also be nice if the /3 included an officer in a peaked cap.

Pardon me for an amateur joining the conversation, can an Ausf C survived mid-war and then used by a late war crew wearing late war uniform? :P

I can say for sure it is wrong if I saw a guy with field grey uniform and jack boots standing in an Afrika Korp vehicle in a hobby show. If Rubicon's model also include markings for Afrika, I would hope the crew would wear appropriate Afrika Korp uniform too. :)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2015, 10:39:21 am »
We are still trying to work on a "standard body prototype" for the studio.  Once selected, we will use that for all future figures.

I think that makes a lot of sense.  It would be great if your crew figures had a consistent 'look' across all of your kits.  Of course, you've already put out a couple of kits with fairly rudimentary figures - presumably these figures might be replaced at some point?

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2015, 10:41:54 am »
Pardon me for an amateur joining the conversation, can an Ausf C survived mid-war and then used by a late war crew wearing late war uniform?

Of course (although you won't see many photos of Ausf Cs by mid-1944, such was the attrition rate with SPWs).  But ideally a kit would provide the most appropriate figures, rather than more unusual combinations.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2015, 11:03:37 am »
The figure look very good . I'm hoping you will release them as a separate kit so those of us who like crews in all our vehicles , by all manufacturers  , can fill hatches and seats .   :)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2015, 12:06:53 pm »
The figure look very good . I'm hoping you will release them as a separate kit so those of us who like crews in all our vehicles , by all manufacturers  , can fill hatches and seats .   :)
Our plan is to field existing projects (if needed) with appropriate crews first.  Once done, we have plans to release a generic tank crew & passenger set for each country; will see how we progress...

Yaquir

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2015, 02:59:46 pm »
Sounds good. I'm looking forward to this  :)

Laffe

• Private
    • View Profile
    • The Figure Fanatic Blog
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2015, 07:48:28 pm »
Pardon me for an amateur joining the conversation, can an Ausf C survived mid-war and then used by a late war crew wearing late war uniform?

Of course (although you won't see many photos of Ausf Cs by mid-1944, such was the attrition rate with SPWs).  But ideally a kit would provide the most appropriate figures, rather than more unusual combinations.

Units usually handed over vehicles to other units when they withdrew for rest and reinforcements. When returning to combat they were outfitted with new vehicles. So the only time you see an earlier type late in the war is when a training or other behind the line unit with older equipment was thrown into combat, for instance a lot of strange stuff show up in the battle of Berlin.

rijklau

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2015, 09:34:57 pm »
But ideally a kit would provide the most appropriate figures, rather than more unusual combinations.

To me the current uniform looks comfortable in mid war scenario. I would say it's a M40/41 tunic (correct me if I am wrong), M40 trousers (straight legged design instead of the M43 tapered ankles),  gaiters and ankle boots which were common after 1941.

What I also like about this design is that if I paint it khaki/olive, I can easily pass them off as Afrika Korp.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2015, 10:02:53 pm »
Personally , I'm not too worried about the uniforms of crews in vehicles .I needs be I can trim off or add pockets / collars etc . Ankle boots and gaiters can be made from jackboots by using liquid  green stuff .You can cover early uniforms  with green stuff to make late war camo smocks , just give me figures to work with . My attempts at making my own stink  :o

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2015, 11:52:20 pm »
To some the SdKfz 251/1 Ausf C might not be an important Rubicon release, but this is going to be a base kit for all our SdKfz 251 series expansion kits.
You now have "the choice" to use either an Ausf C or an Ausf D to add our upcoming (and existing) variants to your gaming needs!

Special features on our SdKfz 251/1 Ausf C kit:

- Highly detailed 2 sprue plastic kit
- Canvas top in close & half open position
- Choice of bench seats - Leather or Wood
- Rear exit door in open or close position
- Choice of MG34 or MG42 machine gun
- Optional MG magazine boxes
- Driver included with two head choices

Enjoy
;)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 12:01:02 am by Rubicon Models »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2015, 01:52:53 am »
Looks good.

The rear doors are a good idea. The ammo boxes are good, some individual ones in the next stowage set would be useful.

I can see the helmeted head but not the other one.

Will you be doing gunners and passengers?

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2015, 02:31:16 am »
Will you be doing gunners and passengers?

Those will be in a future figure box set later in 2016...  :-X

Laffe

• Private
    • View Profile
    • The Figure Fanatic Blog
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2015, 02:46:44 am »
I like the driver, and I like that we get some ammo boxes for the stowage racks. They always look so empty on other kits. Good idea to include to sets of doors.

AFAIK it looks correct too

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2015, 08:49:10 am »
I'm looking forward to this more for the variants, like the command version and Stummel.  I think it's otherwise a bit less exciting because Warlord already have one out.  But this will be a much better kit.

We had the discussion before, but the wooden seats post-dated the Ausf C (they were introduced after the Ausf D went into production).  So it's a case of providing an option that isn't necessary to either modellers or wargamers.  I suspect it's too late, but would it be possible to use that sprue space for something more useful, like more stowage?

Yaquir

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2015, 04:02:11 pm »
A really good kii. I have 3 warlords, but this looks much better!