Author Topic: Rubicon in the future  (Read 5798 times)

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Rubicon in the future
« on: June 15, 2015, 01:34:23 am »
So here's a general query really.

At the moment you're making tanks (and really nice tanks I must add). Is there any plans or musings that in the future you may produce plastic infantry kits too?
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Rubicon in the future
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 01:40:55 am »
Don't think we will do WW2 infantry box sets, there are already quite a few manufacturers doing it, either in plastic or in metal... and they are really nice!
BUT we will do crews, drivers, gunners, etc in the near future!

;)

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 02:11:49 am »
That would be a shame if it would never happen, as the quality, detail and options that your kits currently provide would be appreciated with infantry kits as until the most recent Warlord kits the quality of plastic kits has been somewhat lacking and metal kits are somewhat limited.

That all said, crew for vehicles is a very good thing! And if it means you'll have more time for more tanks I won't complain!
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 11:13:44 am »
Like everyone else, I'd love to see some crew figures.  One question - would you want to adopt Warlord's 'heroic' style, or something closer to the Perrys' approach?

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 11:26:59 am »
It is a long learning curve to sculpt great figures.  Unlike making plastic vehicles, which is rather straightforward; there is a lot to learn about digital sculpting... the style, the techniques, the proportion, etc!

We are already working on a few figures with reasonably moderate results.  These figures will be closer to the Perry's style!  To start, we will only be doing drivers as most of these miniatures are (in some way) half concealed, just in case customers are not satisfied with them.

BTW, when we first started doing some prototype figures, we did them in "true" 1/56 scale, got them printed and put them side-by-side with some Perry and Warlord figures... you will be very surprised!  At least we are!!

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 12:15:40 am »
It is a long learning curve to sculpt great figures.  Unlike making plastic vehicles, which is rather straightforward; there is a lot to learn about digital sculpting... the style, the techniques, the proportion, etc!

It's been something of a learning curve with plastic vehicles too...

BTW, when we first started doing some prototype figures, we did them in "true" 1/56 scale, got them printed and put them side-by-side with some Perry and Warlord figures... you will be very surprised!  At least we are!!

I'd like to see that.  I think some degree of exaggeration is necessary for figures intended primarily for wargaming.

Laffe

• Private
    • View Profile
    • The Figure Fanatic Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 04:55:43 am »

We are already working on a few figures with reasonably moderate results.  These figures will be closer to the Perry's style!  To start, we will only be doing drivers as most of these miniatures are (in some way) half concealed, just in case customers are not satisfied with them.

Warlord's Figures are hideously deformed... but make lovely wargames figures, just don't compare them to ordinary humans.

The Perry's are better, but if you compare them to say 1/48 figures from Tamiya, you will find that the Perry and Tamiya figures have the same "girth", same size hands and same size of heads... but the Tamiya figures are longer.

I don't know which are more popular, I know I prefer the Perry Miniatures style though. Maybe you should position yourself somewhere in between?

robbie039

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 07:00:48 pm »
Why only WW 2 Stuff and no cold war Stuff