Poll

If we are to do a plastic SdKfz 250, which version you would like to see?

Alte - from mid-41 to Oct 43, but in use till end of war
Neu - from late 43 onward to end of war

Author Topic: Proposed Project: SdKfz 250 Alte or Neu ??  (Read 22875 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Proposed Project: SdKfz 250 Alte or Neu ??
« on: May 06, 2015, 10:13:35 pm »

Background History

The SdKfz 250 (German: Sonderkraftfahrzeug 250; 'special motor vehicle') was a light armoured halftrack, very similar in appearance to the larger Hanomag-designed SdKfz 251, and built by the DEMAG firm, for use by Nazi Germany in World War II. Most variants were open-topped and had a single access door in the rear.

The SdKfz 250 was adopted in 1939 to supplement the standard halftrack. Production delays meant that the first 250 did not appear until mid-1941.

The vehicle was used in a wide variety of roles throughout World War II. The basic troop carrier version was used as an armored personnel carrier for reconnaissance units, carrying scout sections. This basic variant usually mounted one or two MG34 machine guns. Later variants carried 20mm, 37mm, and even 75mm guns to support the more lightly armed versions.

Several special-purpose variants were seen early in the war. The 250/3 and 250/5 were command variants, with fewer seats but equipped with long-range radio equipment. These were used by battalion and higher commanders as personal command vehicles, most famously the 250/3 used by Erwin Rommel in the North African campaign. Early versions had large 'bedframe' antennas, which were easy to spot at long range, making them more vulnerable to artillery fire. Later variants dispensed with this and used a whip antenna instead.

The SdKfz 253 variant was fully enclosed, and was used by artillery forward observers to accompany tank and mechanized infantry units.

The initial design had an armoured body made of multi-faceted plates, which gave good protection against small arms fire, but which made the design both expensive to manufacture and quite cramped. Production of this early version stopped in October 1943 with some 4,200 built, and a second version (neue Art or "new version"), greatly simplified to speed up manufacture, began replacing it

In both variants, the armour was useful only for stopping small-arms fire and small artillery fragments. Heavy machine gun fire, anti-tank gun fire, or almost any tank gun could penetrate the SdKfz 250 at long range.

Which version you think we should do... can't do both! 
Mind you this is not a "do it right away" project, just on our production plan...
;)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 10:16:52 pm by Rubicon Models »

Herbert_Erpaderp

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Re: Proposed Project: SdKfz 250 Alte or Neu ??
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 10:31:50 pm »
I think the alte is more interesting looking.

robbie039

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 10:44:03 pm »
please include the option for the 250/3 Greif

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 10:51:01 pm »
please include the option for the 250/3 Greif

Similar to our SdKfz 251D, the SdKfz 250/1 is the base kit for all variants... ;)

judgedoug

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 10:54:28 pm »
I feel you should make the original 1941 version, because certainly there'd be some still in service after 1943 anyways. Whereas only making the 1943 one would mean, not usable in pre-1943

Yaquir

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 11:04:07 pm »
I'd prefer the Alte, too.

johan

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 12:07:52 am »
based on the sdkfz 10, so maybe also a possible kit some day, either as artillery tower or as sdkfz 10/4 or 10/5 AA versions

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 12:09:35 am »
I would love to see an SdKfz 250 in plastic.  On balance I'd prefer the neu version, simply because it looks better, both as the basic troop carrier and in its armoured car (SdKfz 250/9) and 7.5cm gun carrier (SdKfz 250/8) incarnations.  But I can see the arguments in favour of the alte version - it was more widely produced and served for a longer period, and you'd be able to include parts for the earlier SdKfz 250/9 (with an SdKfz 222 turret), the Funkwagen (SdKfz 250/3, with the iconic 'bedstead' aerial) and perhaps the mortar carrier (SdKfz 250/7).  Maybe you could even include the munitions carrier (SdKfz 250/6) which accompanied the StuG batteries - I'm assuming that the vehicle's small size would mean there is enough space on the sprues for the parts for several variants. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 10:00:56 pm by Pinky »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 12:55:43 am »
Thanks for all the positive feedback!  The SdKfz 250 is on our production list BUT not on the top... still waiting her turn to be produced.  However, we will need to start researching the vehicle as there are so many variants possible with this kit.  Some research will take over 2 to 3 months to complete!

It is a hard decision to choose between the Alte and the Neu version, but the basic layouts are so different that we have to choose one first!  This also impact on our SdKfz 251D development as there are so many common components that could be shared between the two vehicles.

This survey basically gives us some ideas on what you all wanted, and we will start our research based on your feedback!  The decision is not final, as our research will "generally" dictate which version we will finally produce... always hard choices!

;)

Perzan

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 02:28:00 am »
Alte please.

han5gruber

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 02:49:01 am »
The SdKfz 250 Neu is your safest bet as most people play late war. The bonus of being able to have interchangeable parts with the 251 is an awesome idea.

airborne

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 03:17:13 am »
I like both and am pleased for either, however my vote would be for the Neu  Cheers.

Cat

• Private
    • View Profile
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 03:33:37 am »
Alte for versatility and cuteness.

H0ffmn

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 09:02:51 am »
I would like to see the alte version. I agree with the earlier comments, that the early version could be used throughout the war.

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 01:52:52 pm »
Alte.

Othe people do the other, the alte can be used both early and late war and its looks nicer. Add in totally selfish reason that it'll go nicely with my DAK, they're the reasons for my vote
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament