Author Topic: Italeri news  (Read 15665 times)

Laffe

• Private
    • View Profile
    • The Figure Fanatic Blog
Italeri news
« on: March 06, 2015, 04:03:11 am »
Just a heads-up, don't know if it will impact any of your plans, but Italeri has released their 2015 preview catalogue.

http://www.italeri.com/imgup/italeri_preview_2015(1).pdf

In 1:56 scale they will release the following:
15755 Pz.Kpfw. VI Tiger I 
15756 Sd. Kfz. 142/1 Stug III 
15757 Pz.Kpfw. III Ausf. J/K/L/M/N
15758 M36/M10
15759 M8/M20

which means Warlord Games will also be releasing them.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Italeri news
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 12:29:52 pm »
Thanks for the info.  The Italeri catalog had been circulated for a little while.  Don't think this will impact our current 2015 production schedule.  In fact, their Tiger I is already out.  The StuG should be in April. 

We are not that concerned with either Italeri or Warlord as our design and concept approach is quite different.  Also, being a small studio give us a lot more flexibility and speed!  Being only 8 months in the industry, we already have 12 items codes in 1/56 scale.  Can't imagine what we can do in 2 years!  We will continue to churn out quality products for the masses...

;)

Laffe

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 01:42:57 pm »
That's good to hear!

Garga

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 07:46:50 pm »
I overall agree on your point but...

a) italeri products are in my view inferior to yours with respect to quality of design and options but they are still high standard products. I have just bought a couple of their tanks from warlord and i should say that are not bad and in particular far better than resin counterparts.
b) For modeller higher quality counts but for many wargamers has a smaller value (at least in friendly games items may be proxied a little so not much relevant if the muzzle is precise or you have the beautiful detail in the wheels). I am not saying that is not good or required i simply say that for a specific market that may not be very important.... Of course yours have many variations and more details but also more pieces to assemble ...
Again I do not know whihc is your target market but i think that wargamers are an important part of your sales base...
c) Italeri products may be competitive price-wise with yours (clearly non taking into account the quality). 3 panthers from psc come at  54 GBP + 15% post and  the warlord platoon costs 55 GBP so there is a 15% difference  and similarly this is the difference for others but the tiger the difference is higher 3 tigers come at 62 + 15%  vs 55... However if you get them directly from Italeri the difference is even higher since in their sice the tiger is at 19 EURO vs almost 30-35 with the unfabourable change we have now... In some cases cost may have a role in the choiche.

these are just my 2 cents.

Given this i think:

a) not a big issue if you have overlaps with other producers. it is important to have the best selling like pziv or stug rather than obscure variants.
b) keep high quality since this is a distinctive feature but perhaps go in the direction of offering more kits of the same model: i already pointed out that with the sherman you cannot have a separate turret so hae two models with one of your boxes. his could be nice and also will be liked by some.
for example the t34/76 and 85 could have been combined so that you may interchange simply the turret. I know that the ring was larger and placed differently but perhaps simple solutions could be done to circumvent.  I don't know if this means more sales for you ...
c) ask your reseller to keep postage cost low... basically thse make an artificial 15-20% cost increase of your models
d) keep us informed about your production plans... that may be useful for us as well... I wanted to buy the t34/85 from warlord but i refrained when i saw you announced yours... (and i am egerly waiting them!!!)

keep these as constructive comments of a nhusiast customer...
you are doing an excellent work !
by the way italeri announced a modular building too...

garga

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 11:01:39 pm »
Garga - see the thread I started on the apparently increasing overlap between Rubicon and Italeri/Warlord: http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=147.0  While noone really agreed with me, I think there is a major issue brewing here, with a strong likelihood that we'll end up with virtually every vehicle available from both.   

a) italeri products are in my view inferior to yours with respect to quality of design and options but they are still high standard products. I have just bought a couple of their tanks from warlord and i should say that are not bad and in particular far better than resin counterparts.

I think the level of quality is pretty close.  I've bought all of the Italeri vehicles released so far, and they tend to be accurate and well detailed, although they aren't as easy to assemble.  Their smaller components are often more accurate that Rubicon's.  I don't like their approach to the tracks and running gear though - I think Rubicon are ahead of them - but kits like the Panther Ausf A and Puma are very nice.  Assuming Italeri actually release their announced Panzer III and StuG III, we'll get a direct comparison.  Warlord's own kits are inferior to Rubicon's.  Look at their new T-34/76 compared to Rubicon's.

b) For modeller higher quality counts but for many wargamers has a smaller value (at least in friendly games items may be proxied a little so not much relevant if the muzzle is precise or you have the beautiful detail in the wheels). I am not saying that is not good or required i simply say that for a specific market that may not be very important.... Of course yours have many variations and more details but also more pieces to assemble ...
Again I do not know whihc is your target market but i think that wargamers are an important part of your sales base…

Like Italeri, Rubicon are still trying to have it both ways - aiming at the wargamers while also trying to appeal to modellers.  That's why we still get components in kits by both manufacturers that are frankly too fragile for wargaming.  I don't see why wargamers should settle for inferior quality, or historical inaccuracy, but they are generally happy to accept compromises in detail/number of parts in exchange for useful options and durability. 

c) Italeri products may be competitive price-wise with yours (clearly non taking into account the quality). 3 panthers from psc come at  54 GBP + 15% post and  the warlord platoon costs 55 GBP so there is a 15% difference  and similarly this is the difference for others but the tiger the difference is higher 3 tigers come at 62 + 15%  vs 55... However if you get them directly from Italeri the difference is even higher since in their sice the tiger is at 19 EURO vs almost 30-35 with the unfabourable change we have now... In some cases cost may have a role in the chichi.

I'm finding Italeri cheaper than either Warlord or Rubicon.

a) not a big issue if you have overlaps with other producers. it is important to have the best selling like pziv or stug rather than obscure variants.

I agree up to a point, but when it becomes a competition over every release then we're losing out in variety.  To be honest, it looks to me more as though Italeri/Warlord are dogging Rubicon in this regard, with a string of kits announced on the heels of Rubicon's.     

b) keep high quality since this is a distinctive feature but perhaps go in the direction of offering more kits of the same model: i already pointed out that with the sherman you cannot have a separate turret so hae two models with one of your boxes. his could be nice and also will be liked by some.
for example the t34/76 and 85 could have been combined so that you may interchange simply the turret. I know that the ring was larger and placed differently but perhaps simple solutions could be done to circumvent.  I don't know if this means more sales for you …

I agree - I've been saying that Rubicon need to offer more distinct variants.  So, providing the 75mm and 76mm turrets in the M4A3 kit is very useful, while providing the 1941 and 1942 turrets in the T-34/76 kit is far less useful.  Judging by some of the threads about Rubicon's planned kits (e.g. the M5A1/M8) they're getting much better at this.

c) ask your reseller to keep postage cost low... basically thse make an artificial 15-20% cost increase of your models

Probably too much to ask.  Retailers have to make money too!

d) keep us informed about your production plans... that may be useful for us as well... I wanted to buy the t34/85 from warlord but i refrained when i saw you announced yours... (and i am egerly waiting them!!!)

Me too!  Warlord's T-34/85 is pretty average, and I'm sure Rubicon's will be far superior.  That's where some competition is a good thing.  It cuts both ways though; I'm sure Italeri's announced Panzer III will be better than Rubicon's. 

Laffe

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 11:09:17 pm »
Garga - see the thread I started on the apparently increasing overlap between Rubicon and Italeri/Warlord: http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=147.0  While noone really agreed with me, I think there is a major issue brewing here, with a strong likelihood that we'll end up with virtually every vehicle available from both.   

I think the level of quality is pretty close.  I've bought all of the Italeri vehicles released so far, and they tend to be accurate and well detailed, although they aren't as easy to assemble.  Their smaller components are often more accurate that Rubicon's.  I don't like their approach to the tracks and running gear though - I think Rubicon are ahead of them - but kits like the Panther Ausf A and Puma are very nice.  Assuming Italeri actually release their announced Panzer III and StuG III, we'll get a direct comparison.  Warlord's own kits are inferior to Rubicon's.  Look at their new T-34/76 compared to Rubicon's.

I think Warlord's own vehicles (those without the Italeri lable on the box) are upscaled Plastic Soldier Company kits. Their universal carrier sure and Panzer IV sure is. While ok kits, the detail really suffers.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 09:18:26 am »
I don't see a problem with competition , the more plastic 1/56 scale kits the better . My first love is 1/35 scale kits and I have 18 T-34s by 5 different kit makers . Some , Dragon and AFV are built out of the box , others , Tamiya and  Zvezda have all sorts of after market and scratch built detail parts added . The same with the 1/56 kits I've got . All 5 of my Warlord T-34 /85s have extra track links and stowage  added  , home made tow cables , opened hatches , and cast texture to the turret and other parts as needed .Same with the 3 Warlord Panzer IVs  , why  because they needed that little extra something to look right  and I like kit bashing and scratch building . Will I add stuff to the Rubicon kits ,( when my LHS finally gets them in) , don't know as of yet but am thinking of a Stug III / Panzer IV kit bash into a Stug IV . Or do Rubicon have one planned ?

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 11:16:59 am »
I don't see a problem with competition , the more plastic 1/56 scale kits the better

And from a modelling perspective the more versions of a vehicle the better, because you'll often combine bits from all of them in the quest for the best representation of the vehicle (although even then - did we really need so many Tigers?).  From a wargaming perspective (as I keep saying) it's duplication.  For instance, now that Rubicon have a Stug III (with several options), why do we need one from Italeri?  Wargamers want a range of vehicles because of what they do on the wargamers table.  Hence Rubicon are going in the right direction with the M5A1/M8 kit they're working on - but will we see the same thing from Italeri in a few months?  I hope not.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 01:26:40 pm »
I guess it depends on how many Tigers you want to build . Rubicon's is great for almost all but the earliest versions , you know the one with two pistol ports and the stowage bins on either side of the turret .  And I'm working out how to make one of those . From what I've seen of the Warlord kitty , it should be real easy to have crew in all four  hatches as they are molded open . The   Warlord / Italeri kits have many soft  molded details that could use replacing as well as missing details that could be added , on the other hand the plastic  drills and cuts easy, so opening hatches on  the  Panzer IV and T-34/85 was a piece of cake .Personally I like crews in my tanks , I guess it all depends if your a gamer or a modeler or some combination of the two .

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 06:20:27 pm »
I think Warlord's own vehicles (those without the Italeri lable on the box) are upscaled Plastic Soldier Company kits. Their universal carrier sure and Panzer IV sure is. While ok kits, the detail really suffers.

I knew the Universal Carrier was a scaled up PSC kit, but hadn't realised that the Panzer IV was as well.  Looking at photos of the sprues, that does seem to be the case.  Which would explain why it looks a bit odd.  The other Warlord kits are their own, I think - although the SdKfz 251 is quite similar to PSC's...

Laffe

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 06:35:44 pm »
I like the PSC kits in 20mm, upscaled to 28mm they are not so good. Those two are the only Warlord kits I have, so I do not know if any more are made from PSC kits. Warlord have changed some small details in the conversions, but their origins are apparent to anyone who has built the PSC version. 

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 09:09:45 pm »
...but their origins are apparent to anyone who has built the PSC version.

I've built the PSC 15mm Panzer IV.  Do the tracks on the 28mm version have the same annoying gap where they're supposed to link up?

Laffe

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 06:53:09 pm »
...but their origins are apparent to anyone who has built the PSC version.

I've built the PSC 15mm Panzer IV.  Do the tracks on the 28mm version have the same annoying gap where they're supposed to link up?

Not as such. Both the 20mm and 28mm go together wihtout problems if you align the pieces correctly; some pressure is needed to keep the tracks from springing apart though, and the join is very visible. I always hide it under some mud.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 09:34:12 pm »
I always hide it under some mud.

Aah, mud - it covers a multitude of sins…along with tarpaulins (useful for hiding stowage screw ups).

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 11:18:16 am »
Warlord/Italeri's Stug III is up for pre-order.  It doesn't have as many options as Rubicon's version.  It will be interesting to see how the two versions compare - it looks as though both of them are coming out at the same time.