Author Topic: The highs and lows of a Tiger.  (Read 3274 times)

airborne

• Private
    • View Profile
The highs and lows of a Tiger.
« on: February 26, 2015, 02:27:26 am »
On valentine my wife brought me a Tiger, I want a Wehrmacht machine for my fictional White Rose group, that aid the Allies in our Weird War 2. As they are under supplied their vehicles tend to be damaged and  well loaded with a White Rose replacing the usual Red Swastika Aircraft flag. I decided to damage the skirts and drill out the rear shackle pins, the high was the skirts damaged with ease and I think look quite effective. The low was the dam shackles, usually I cut them completely off along with any lifting pins and replace them with metal jewellery items. This time, however, they looked so nice, I decided to drill and file them. Quite a while later, after drilling both, I broke both of them off whilst filing. Back to the drawing board and replace. Now I am pleased with them. Few more bits to do and then all the bedding and extra tackle to put on, spares etc and I can start the paintwork.  Cheers.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The highs and lows of a Tiger.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 10:06:01 am »
Every model I build seems to have similar highs and lows.  I'm still battling with my Panther Ausf D - I think I've removed virtually everything I've added to it at some point.

I like what you've done with the skirts.  I don't bother replacing lifting rings etc on wargaming models, but it does add a nice layer of detail.

You might want to fill the gaps on the sides of the rear plate.  It's one of the only parts of the kit that needs filling (along with the join down the back of the turret).  The upper edge of the glacis should also be sloped on each side, rather than straight - I just realised this and am about to fix mine.

airborne

• Private
    • View Profile
Re: The highs and lows of a Tiger.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 11:38:02 pm »
Thanks for the kind words Pinky,  I`ve always done the lifting brackets usually in steel or brass, it started when they made recovery machines and I wanted photos of lifted items. Metal hooks ensure my model stays up in the air not in bits on the board.  Dust made it even more so, I`ll fill in the joints as I make beding tents and odds and sods.
Cheers mate.