Author Topic: M5A1 Stuart / M8 Scott - Project CLOSED!  (Read 73433 times)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: M5A1 Stuart / M8 Scott - Updated with Painted Plastic
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2015, 09:22:06 pm »
That all sounds fine (oh, so it's a French tank name!).  I didn't find any photos of the US Armoured Division sign on tanks at any point in he war, but if you think it's right...

elcee

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2015, 04:24:25 am »
Having a decal doesn`t really matter, those who think its not historic can skip the decal, for those who want to use it can do so. Its not that the decal is wrong, it worse if something would be missing.

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2015, 04:44:58 am »
A bit of artistic licence is always a good thing to have.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2015, 10:54:33 am »
Having a decal doesn`t really matter, those who think its not historic can skip the decal, for those who want to use it can do so. Its not that the decal is wrong, it worse if something would be missing.

I don't agree.  In the case of a kit of a historic vehicle, I think the decals supplied should, like the kit, be as accurate as possible.  Many people who buy this kit will expect the markings to be accurate, and will be disappointed if they discover that they're not.   After all the effort that Rubicon are now making to get their kits as accurate as possible (look at the discussion that's gone into recent projects like the M8, the M10/M36 and the SdKfz 251 variants, for example), it doesn't make sense to skimp on details like decals.  In fact, with the amount of reference material now available on WW2 armour, it should be possible to avoid most errors (unlike 25 years ago, when model kits contained all kinds of fundamental mistakes, many of which were based on mistakes by military museums).  Modellers can, of course, do what they like with their kit - that's where the artistic license comes in.

Of course, we're now debating the inclusion of a single decal, and it's highly unlikely that anyone would criticise Rubicon for including it even if it never actually appeared on an M5A1 or an M8.   
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:36:01 pm by Pinky »

moiterei_1984

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2015, 06:58:35 pm »
Well, it might not be 100% historically accurate but personally I like the armoured division decal and will probably use it just because it looks cool and adds 'character' to the model. Personaly as a gamer and painter first and researcher a far second I don't care too much about historical accuracy as long as it looks right to me. Just my 2 cents though  8)

Laffe

• Private
    • View Profile
    • The Figure Fanatic Blog
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2015, 10:22:29 pm »
Yeah, I'm with Pinky on this one. Leave the artistic license to those building the kits, try to be as accurate as possible -- within certain financial limits of course.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2015, 10:04:03 pm »
- The M8 mantlet sits too far forward.  It shouldn't be possible to see the gun tube etc.  Is that a construction error?

Here is the corrected assembly of the M8 turret:

;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2015, 11:27:44 pm »
Looks okay now.  There actually seems to be scope for pushing the mantlet in further - I'll probably do a bit of trimming on mine.  Can't wait to build this kit - or the Recce version.