Author Topic: Bell UH-1 "Huey" More Working Prototype Details 210223  (Read 15933 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Bell UH-1 "Huey" More Working Prototype Details 210223
« on: December 02, 2020, 05:33:27 pm »
Our "New Project of the Month" for December 2020... the Bell UH-1 Iroquois "Huey".

Another FIRST for Rubicon Models - something that is airborne! This will be a multi-sprue plastic kit in 1/56 scale covering the UH-1D and UH-1H variant.

Final features are not confirmed but will include full interior, stretcher variant, and multiple weapon system support.

This project is not just for the Vietnam War, but for every other conflicts that used air support!

Somehow, the word ZOMBIES lingers...

Enjoy!
;)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 01:06:55 pm by Rubicon Models »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: New Project for the Month of December 2020 - Bell UH-1 "Huey" 201202
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 06:46:13 am »
Somehow, the word ZOMBIES lingers...
Plastic zombies?

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 06:47:09 am »
Have you thought about how to do flying stands?

thunderplunk

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 03:52:49 pm »
Wow, these look good! I'm also curious about how you'll do flying stands, though to be honest I could see one of these working great even as scenery...

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 06:19:56 pm »
We currently have no idea how we are going to tackle the flying stand at this point.  Will be the last thing we will look into... might not do a stand at all if the production volume is low.

Cost to produce an extra stand is very expensive... :(

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 06:45:32 am »
We currently have no idea how we are going to tackle the flying stand at this point.
It might be worth checking if a tube at near the centre of gravity can run up inside the body (with a blanking plate for those who do not need it. You do not need to produce a stand, just a way to mount them.

Heisler

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 08:11:16 am »
I would skip the flying stand. If people need it there are plenty of commercial alternatives out there already. Better to keep the costs down.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 10:54:35 am »
Quote from: ultravanillasmurf
It might be worth checking if a tube at near the centre of gravity can run up inside the body (with a blanking plate for those who do not need it. You do not need to produce a stand, just a way to mount them.

This is a very good idea because this will be a fantastic option for miniature gamers and modellers. That is, do not bother including a flight stand in the kit, but only include a way to make it easier to use one. Also a way to cover that hole for those that do not need or want it. Excellent idea!

I also support the idea of not adding a flight stand to the kit itself. Because as Heisler pointed out, there are a lot of alternatives. If the need arises, you can always make separate flight stands later.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 12:35:47 pm »
Centre of gravity is going to vary depending on how you build the kit - just add the  plastic pilot / co pilot ,  or add  half a dozen troops  in rear compartment , and then  add weapon pods / door gunners  . There are a few companies making Nam era troops in various  styles ( plastic / resin / metal ) and IRC there are some 80/90s era troops too that could hitch a ride on this whirly bird .What you use is going to effect the sit of the kit on the stand . The best copter stand I've seen was coat hanger wire used as the drop ropes from a chopper to the roof of a building , very realistic .

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 01:15:04 am »
I would skip the flying stand. If people need it there are plenty of commercial alternatives out there already. Better to keep the costs down.

It does help if the kit designers do include a well designed (long) socket for a flight stand if not the flight stand itself.

Centre of gravity is going to vary depending on how you build the kit - just add the  plastic pilot / co pilot ,  or add  half a dozen troops  in rear compartment , and then  add weapon pods / door gunners.
Very true, the socket is going to need to be 1.5mm to 2mm for strength with a key so that the model does not rotate. counter weights are probably going to be needed in the boom if you are adding metal crew and gunners Passengers and weapon pods are most likely to be in the COG area by design.

The cargo hook area looks like a good spot, the rest of the tube is hidden in what I guess is part of the engine/transmission compartment.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 11:18:10 am »
Quote from: ultravanillasmurf
...the socket is going to need to be 1.5mm to 2mm for strength with a key so that the model does not rotate...

I'm not sure what flight stands are already available, but including a key (or an adapter) to prevent the model from spinning around might be a good idea.

As to where to put that optional hole for the flight stand? Well, there are a few choices, but looking at that cargo hook area might be a start.

PoP (Power of Plastic!) and CoG (Center of Gravity):
As for center of gravity, yep, that can be a small issue, but this is a light plastic kit, and not a heavy resin/metal kit. So even if a pilot or co-pilot is added, the center of gravity wouldn't be heavily affected [pun intended]. A good flight stand can handle this. Also, hidden counter weights (such as lead shot or small fishing weights) are easy to add to adjust the model's center of gravity - if needed.

Counter Weights:
@Rubicon Models - please do not include counter weights with the kit. There is no need since this stuff is easy to acquire. Besides,  most modellers have their own preferred method of doing this. For example, one of my favorite methods is using a mixture of lead shot with a little bit of epoxy, and packing the mixture into small hidden areas - as needed. Of course, there are other ways including using simple small lead bars. It all depends on the amount and shape of the space available for counter weights - if needed.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 09:20:42 am by Tracks »

Ad

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 05:20:25 am »
Flying stands are not important at the moment as many of us have different methods of solving the problem. I had 1/72 aircraft and to get the central point to drill the hole I just balanced the model on the tip of my finger.

I think it's great too see a plastic chopper in this scale that will have many uses in the wargames community.
 Due too the number of parts that maybe needed for the kit I think RM should  release it as two separate kits. A gunship with the weapons and door gunners and pilots and the medevac model with the stretchers, casualties and the medic.

I am interested to see how RM are going to do the clear parts for the cockpit as they have not done clear plastic yet.

I am into WW2 but that's not gonna stop me from getting a Huey or two......maybe some plastic marines.

The Huey will be the big seller for 2021.

emmanuel

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2020, 06:38:49 am »
Fantasitic news.....Even if I am fond of WWII,  I will go on Vietnam area by buying two or three of theses hueys (and some marines of course).
Congrats Rubicon for this new project.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bell UH-1 "Huey" Armament Subsystems 201214
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2020, 07:43:54 pm »
More updates on the UH-1 Huey... the Armament Subsystems.

The current design is still in its early stage and is pretty much a work-in-progress.

While working on the M23 armament subsystem that mounts M60D on both sides of the helicopter, we are looking into adding the M213 MG to the armament subsystem so that it can become the XM59 armament (reinforced M23 system) which can use either M60D or M213 MG or even XM175 grenade launcher. As for the M134 Minigun, we might add an XM93/XM93E1 door mount to make a free-ranging or forward-facing weapon system.

Please note the current drawings are just "presentation" on what we are working on... still, a lot to do

Enjoy!
;)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bell UH-1 "Huey" Drawings Update 210110
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2021, 05:51:58 pm »
Here's an update on our plastic Huey project... now with RIVETS and more armament subsystems! 

A flight support mechanism is being designed as well.

Enjoy!
;)