Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
General Discussions / Re: Panzer 38t
« Last post by EarlyWarGamer on July 28, 2023, 01:54:43 pm »
The nice bit about having a Panzer 35(t) is that once you have one, you have all your bases covered. There was the single basic design. The Germans captured something like 218 of them, and while they were certainly used, they did not enter production, So there is not a parade of Ausf "X" models to deal with.

Whereas the Panzer 38(t) was produced to the tune of just over 1,400 of them, across 7 models (Ausf A to Ausf G).  Not to mention several thousand being produced after the basic 38(t) stopped to be made into SP vehicles like the Marder III and Grille. And that doesn't count the thousands that were the basis for the Hetzers.

As for conversion possibilities, the "problem" is how much effort do you want to put into it.  The A through D had small changes and adaptations between them. Where we enter trouble is with the Ausf E. It had 25mm armor plates added to the front and 15mm armor plates added to the sides.  So if you are starting with an A thru D you can turn that into an E. But if you are starting with an E, removing those extra thick armor plates becomes an issue.

According to my own non-exhaustive list:

Ausf A = 100% riveted. Call this the base
Ausf B = Mostly riveted, a bit of welding.  Small changes (Notek lights, gun sight cover modified, smoke grenade launchers)
Ausf C = Mostly riveted, some welding.  Small changes (turret ring splash, German radio aerial, higher exhaust muffler)
Ausf D = Mostly riveted, some welding.  Straight front plate, large stowage box on left middle fender
Ausf E = More welding, less riveting.  Armor plates added.  Changes include new driver and gunner visors, two smaller stowage boxes
Ausf F = Very similar to Ausf E
Ausf G = Nearly 100% welded. Very similar to E/F but both storage boxes have been eliminated.

So an Ausf A can become a B, C or D with minor tweaks.  And an E can easily pass for an F or even a G with little effort.  But crossing from those early versions to the later versions is the rough patch. I'm not sure what to make of the WG model, because it sure has a ton of riveting on it, and the E/F had more welding present, and the G had almost no riveting at all. So the WG really isn't a stand in for the final G version unless you snip/sand off all those rivets!
Wish Lists / Re: Panzer 38t
« Last post by Tracks on July 27, 2023, 01:09:12 pm »
See my comment in the other post.
General Discussions / Re: Panzer 38t
« Last post by Tracks on July 27, 2023, 01:08:25 pm »
I have not really thought about converting the kit to an Ausf B, but now that you have mentioned this, I have to look into the details. I have a really good book on the subject - Panzer Tracts #18: Panzerkampfwagen 38(t).

Was it really that much different to make such an effort to convert?

That being said, the last time we played an early war scenario (Invasion of Poland), we used our Warlor... cough... mumble... ames Panzer 38t plastic models (painted gray) as early versions of the tank. Of course, a rivet counter would probably complain, but for us it looked and played the part very well.

As for a Panzer 35t, I would hope to see a few other things released before something like a Panzer 35t. Since the 35 wasn't as widely used as the 38, I'm okay with waiting for this, but in the end would it be nice to see a good model of the Panzer 35t? Sure, but how popular would it be? A 38 is almost a must, but a 35? Let us hear your thoughts.
Wish Lists / Panzer 38t
« Last post by H0ffmn on July 25, 2023, 09:27:31 am »
Any way the Panzer 38t ausf B could be put on the wishlist? Warlord's 38t ausf E is okay, but nobody makes the ausf B , in plastic, resin or even 3d printed.
 Please consider this and add it to the list.
       Thanks
              H0ffmn
General Discussions / Panzer 38t
« Last post by H0ffmn on July 25, 2023, 09:23:29 am »
Even though there hasn't been much activity here, I thought I would post this. I've been trying to convert Warlord's 38t, from a 38t Ausf E to a Ausf B without much luck in doing so.There's a lot of small small parts to try to make to the front turret armor and the front upper hull. Is there any chance that  earlier models of the Panzer 38t ,and the Panzer 35t could be put on Rubicon's wish list???
     Thanks
Work In Progress / Re: Project of the Month - Dec 2021 - M3 Lee & Grant
« Last post by Rubicon Models on May 17, 2023, 01:00:25 pm »
The project is still ongoing... just finished digital sculpting of "organic" parts, awaiting approval.  Once approved, it will send to mould-making.
Work In Progress / Re: Project of the Month - Dec 2021 - M3 Lee & Grant
« Last post by Tracks on May 17, 2023, 09:15:19 am »
Was this project cancelled?
Work In Progress / Re: T17E1 Staghound - Mk II added 210417
« Last post by ripley on March 14, 2023, 03:25:15 am »
Any word on the Staghounds release ? I've got a couple of great books for research purposes ...

Hopefully the decals will include both Polish and Canadian units that used the Staghound
General Discussions / Reply to a FB post re GAZ Quad MG
« Last post by ripley on March 13, 2023, 11:19:47 pm »
Sorry about posting this here but FB and I don't seem to get along , I can read the posts but for some reason FB just refuses to let me respond or comment on anything .
  Sorry John that you found the Quad MG kit to such a PIA . For my part , I found it to be well designed , minimal to zero flash and great instructions  , a whole lot better than most other companies metal kits .  I have to ask , is this your first metal kit ? If so I can understand your frustration , it is not a shake the box kit , you have to test fit and visualize how something that goes on sideways , moves over a couple of things and then turns 180 degrees is going end up looking , But if you take your time it all comes together and looks great

I ended up mounting the gun on a spare  GAZ truck bed floor so I can remove it to use the truck as transport if needed . Further research , which I always seem to do after the kit is built  ::)  I've found pictures of these guns on building roofs in Russian cities , so I'll have to get another one to mount on one of my 4ground Stalingrad apartments
Work In Progress / Re: T17E1 Staghound - Mk II added 210417
« Last post by Jaeger on February 19, 2023, 12:24:05 pm »
With all variants available I look forward to this release.
I've been looking since it was announced...years ago.
Surely it's ready for this Spring release!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10