Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Work In Progress / Re: The Panzer IV Digital Library - Eye Candy - 170623
« Last post by ripley on June 24, 2017, 02:52:00 AM »
Don't think I would use a kit with these type skirts in a game situation , some guys have real heavy fingers  ::) OOPS !
General Discussions / Re: A Half Year in Review @RM - 170611
« Last post by Screamin Eagle on June 23, 2017, 11:52:31 PM »
- Hint Hint - Rubicon Models will not bound ourselves to simply focusing on 1/56 scale or WW2.  We are a design studio and will do what we are best at - Create & Design!
It would be great to see some of these same offerings in 15mm (1/100) for use in FoW, Art of Tactic, or Tanks!
« Last post by Ballardian on June 23, 2017, 10:29:04 PM »
They look very nice :)

Interesting, how do you intend to attach them to the plastic?
- I suppose that might depend to a degree as to what they're eventually made from - PE on 1/72 & 1/35 models will sometimes be fine using plastic cement - the plastic melts enough to hold the PE in place, but for gaming models it's likely that superglue is going to be necessary & it's still likely to be more fragile than the rest of the kit.
Showcase & Gallery / Re: UVS models
« Last post by Ballardian on June 23, 2017, 10:20:16 PM »
 Cool little vehicle 8)
Showcase & Gallery / Re: Jgd Pz SU 85(r) WIP
« Last post by Ballardian on June 23, 2017, 10:19:08 PM »
 Nice work on the IS2 & I like the way your abandoned KV2 is going.
  I find the Mr Surfacer products pretty reliable for adding casting texture (though I suppose all they really are is a variant on the liquid green stuff theme), as you can ususally guarantee some sort of consistency in its 'grain'.
« Last post by ripley on June 23, 2017, 09:31:13 PM »
Might work better as a small detail set sort of like Rubicon 's decal sets . If you look at WW2 Russian tank walkarounds you'll notice cast marks / numbers on T-34 driver hatches and the cast bump out for the bow machine gun , as well on the lower rear casting for sprockets . Some cast KV 1 turrets have it , and its also on the cast mantle of SU 85 / 100s as well as the JSU series . And its hit and miss , depending which factory made them , hence the 3 JS turret pictures above . Would most modellers even bother in this scale , not to mention the game guys ? I know I'm going to on the next JS I build , but of the half dozen guys I know locally who build and play , I seem to be the only one whose thinking out of the box on every kit he builds  ::) .
Interesting, how do you intend to attach them to the plastic?

After evaluation and several test fittings, we tend to decide on a standalone piece being a better solution.  We will try to use a thicker metal piece - either brass or stainless steel.

If fitted on a plastic frame, fitting and assembly would be quite complicated for an average gamer; and a waste of sprue space too!
Nickel Silver is popular for etched chassis construction for model railway modellers.
« Last post by ultravanillasmurf on June 23, 2017, 09:11:13 PM »
I textured my Sherman turrets using liquid poly (and also to fill some of the gaps) using the supplied brush.

The T34 (may I one day finish it) had the turret covered with a Milliput slurry.

I did add hand rails on the T34 turret, but could have used thinner wire.

I wonder if the cast numbers are something for the Soviet stowage set?
« Last post by ripley on June 23, 2017, 08:08:57 PM »
Thks guys . The casting numbers are raised , I tried shaving some off the tabs on the  sprues but they are too thin . Academy gives you a whole series of letters and numbers for just this purpose in their 1/35 US tank kits , I know I've got some somewhere ,oh well  ::) . Also you can get them in resin as decals , might have to find some for my next JS 2 . Yes wire works well for the grab bars and  ladder rungs (I use paper clips myself ) , I have built some larger scale kits with that . As these are gaming pieces ,( at least  one day I might play ,) or I build them and then give them to friends  who play BA  , so I think its better to make them a little more sturdy , nothing like spending half your gaming time looking for and fixing tiny broken parts  ;D . Instead of adding liquid glue , which works well, I've been using liquid green stuff . Sometimes the glue melts  tiny detail parts  :o

« Last post by ripley on June 23, 2017, 07:53:12 PM »
Looks good , and you included the mesh that goes flat  over the fenders , well done . Most companies forget about those  :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10