Author Topic: Allied Stowage set 2 wishlist  (Read 12079 times)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Allied Stowage set 2 wishlist
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 05:46:19 pm »
That's a C2351.  It was used for 3.7 inch HAA gun ammo.  Here's a photo of a survivor:

There's not a lot available on British pressed steel boxes, but there was a bewildering range of them, several of which were popular additions to AFVs. 

« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 05:53:51 pm by Pinky »

Golf Alpha Zulu

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 06:13:24 pm »
Brilliant.

Thanks, all of you, for the input. Appreciated.:D

So Rubicon, please add the C2351 to the list of pressed steel cases in the next stowage set....  ;D

And that it is a 3.7 inch AA ammo case makes sense. Both of the images I posted show South African 6th Armoured Div vehicles, and - there was a battery of two of 3.7 guns in the division, which had been trained – and were deployed in – the anti-tank and field artillery role, so would have been involved enough for their discarded ammo cases to find their way onto other A-echelon unit vehicles ...

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 06:37:36 pm »
Well done Pinky.

There is something called the British Ordinance Collectors Network (they have a forum) which might be of use for research purposes.

More common boxes would be most useful, but there is always Rubicon's possible resin option for more exotica.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 09:07:21 pm »
Spare boogies only carried on Churchill AVRE during first days of the invasion , no gun tanks had them fitted . There was a discussion about this a week or so ago on Missing Lynx

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 09:45:56 pm »
More common boxes would be most useful, but there is always Rubicon's possible resin option for more exotica.

Maybe we should create our own guide here. 

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 10:46:19 pm »
Spare boogies only carried on Churchill AVRE during first days of the invasion ...

Joys of autocorrect...

I had not spotted that, thanks.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2017, 09:49:53 am »
Here is an image (produced by a resin accessory manufacturer) of some of the more common British ammo boxes:

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 04:33:32 pm »
Having spent happy second slicing up the four large MG ammo boxes for the turret basket of my Churchill, these would be so much better.

Not sure what the boxes on the basket should be, but they are bigger than the 0.50" boxes I have used. Plus the two boxes that fit on the rear vertical face.

British Tanks in Normandy states the rear fuel tank is a Mk IV feature (the mounting points are moulded on the Churchill). I have a spare from the Crusader, but was it used on other vehicles?

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 04:45:21 pm »
I'll have a look at 'Mr Churchill's Tank' and let you know.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2017, 09:40:31 pm »
Rear fuel tank was mounted on early Churchill I - III , probably a inter war idea , what trooper in his right mind would want gas in an unarmored can sitting above his hot exhaust and engine deck ? Also seen on various Vickers light tanks and Valentines ( mounted on fenders ) , the Crusader , and there are pictures of Canadian Lees training in the UK 1943 ( ?)  with fuel tanks mounted in place of one the rear stowage bins . Also early Stuart M3 had them in both US and UK service . The Russians had them all over the place but they were using diesel , not as flammable .  There really are a lot of   Brit ammo boxes , the ones you see the most seem to be the 25 pounder brass shell box ( the one in the above picture with 8 circles ) and the 2 inch smoke mortar round box . All metal , air / water tight with a rubber gasket  . You can find the mortar box on US Shermans as they had the mortar installed and were issued the ammo.  There are a few resin companies making boxes in 1/48 and 1/35 but nothing in 1/56 yet . I just raided my model railroad parts box for boxes of what I think are the appropriate size , if / when we get some in 1/56 I'll replace them . I keep hoping Company B or S&S add some to their product lines . With the amount of new Allied kits being proposed and released you would think this would be a great seller , of course mastering the actual boxes might be real difficult in this scale

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2017, 11:04:13 pm »
Thanks.

The problem with cast metal boxes is they make the model top heavy (not aproblem with the Sherman V as that is heavy).

I have noticed Empress doing more detail in their resin (some kits have parts in resin previously in metal) and Die Waffenkammer do theirs in their odd and paint resistant resin.

Plastic would be nice.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 12:04:34 am »
British Tanks in Normandy states the rear fuel tank is a Mk IV feature (the mounting points are moulded on the Churchill). I have a spare from the Crusader, but was it used on other vehicles?

The auxiliary fuel tank appeared on the Mk III and Mk IV.  It seems to have been removed after Tunisia - there are photos of Mk IVs with the fittings but no fuel tank.

Auxiliary fuel tanks could be jettisoned if necessary.  According to David Fletcher, experienced crews filled them with water rather than fuel.  However, they don't seem to have been a serious fire risk.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 12:07:45 am by Pinky »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 01:23:28 am »
Thanks.