Author Topic: Israeli M-1 Super Sherman  (Read 1515 times)

Stuart

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Israeli M-1 Super Sherman
« on: July 30, 2022, 12:58:17 am »
I am giving some thought to building an M-1 Super Sherman by kitbashing a Rubicon Sherman.

Just thinking that a preliminary starting place would be with the M4A2 then using an M4A3 turret. Anyone with a better starting place or some advice as how to proceed I would welcome your thoughts. I do know that there will be some scratch building involved, but just looking at photos that would seem to be minimal

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Israeli M-1 Super Sherman
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 07:34:15 am »
 IDF tanks are not my thing but most  pictures I've seen show a late version M4A1 cast hull . so I would start there . Check out TOADMAN Tank Pictures walkarounds on the web . IRC you need the late Sherman E8 wheels and you have to replace / kit bash the engine deck hatches as they re engined them with a diesel IRC instead of the stock 9 cylinder aero engine .
EDIT there are also M4 versions with the older wheel styles , so I guess you could go that way as well , but they all did start out with the aero engine so M4 /M4A1 hulls
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 07:42:10 am by ripley »

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 09:17:25 am »
The Israel Shermans is an interesting story. I would at least start with the follow:

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldwar/israel/m50-51_super-sherman.php

https://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldwar/Israel/ISherman.php

If you can, I also recommend picking up the book "IDF Shermans M-50 and M-51" by Tom Gannon. This book will be very useful for your project. More information about the book in the link below:

https://www.scalemates.com/books/idf-shermans-m-50-and-m-51-model-foto-focus-tom-gannon--125787

It would be nice once you start on your M50/M51 Super Sherman kit-bash project to share with others the progress of your model, and of course the finished result. Actually, this seems like a fun project and look the hear from you how it turns out.

Edit:
Sorry, I just realized that I misunderstood the title. I was thinking of the more famous M50 and M51 (mostly because I just watched The Chieftain videos on it), and thought that maybe you might have meant M51 and not M1, but there is an Israeli M1 Super Sherman, which is a different tank. In the 1950s, Israel purchased some Sherman tanks. These were armed with the 76.2mm M1 gun, so they were designated M1 Super Sherman to distinguish them from earlier variants equipped with 75mm guns. Many of these featured rounded cast hulls, air-cooled radial gasoline engines, and Vertical Volute Spring Suspension (VVSS). These tanks first saw action in the Suez Crisis in 1956.

In this case, I would just use the model as is without any kit-bashing. In fact, it seems like no or very little kit-bashing is needed. For those subtle differences, very few if any will ever notice them. Also, depending on how you paint your model, you can still use the model as a WW2 tank.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 05:40:40 pm by Tracks »

Stuart

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 05:54:38 am »
Thanks to both of you for your speedy replies.

My impression is that most of what became the M-1 Super Shermans, and yes I am focused on the 1956 War, came from France and some other European surplus. That is why I believed the M4A2 was a better starting place. I do have a set of instructions from the Tamiya M-1 SS kit in 1/35 that a friend gave me yesterday, and the A1 hull does seem to be a better place to start.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 05:58:41 am by Stuart »

somtec

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 03:58:08 am »
Definitely better choice would be the m4a1 76mm kit, basically straight out the box for a 56 version with vvss, although they did receive a small number of m4a3 76mm which could also be used but much rarer . I have a 67 version with hvss just about finished , need to get it done and painted, more progress been made since this photo was taken

« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 04:01:01 am by somtec »

Stuart

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 01:16:08 am »
Thanks, but I want a model consistent with my others in 1/56 scale. I think I have all I need at the present, although if someone has a good solution for Israeli Sanai Grey, I would sure like to know what it is. I don't have an airbrush so it will have to be something straight out of the can, or an acrylic good for brush painting. I am looking at Mission Models at present, but have not settled on that brand. I suppose I should say that paint request is not for this Super Sherman, that will be in a faded OD, but rather for future Israeli builds like the Centurion.

somtec

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2022, 04:49:57 am »
my model is all rubicon m4a1 76 mated to the hvss suspension.
have you tried this make very nice paint  https://northeastmodelcentre.co.uk/product/paints/acrylic/lifecolor-acrylic/lifecolor-israeli-sandgrey-61-73-22ml/

Stuart

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2022, 07:08:39 am »
I'm sorry I misunderstood you. Thanks for the paint tip.