Author Topic: Modified hulls and other "small" variations  (Read 4301 times)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Modified hulls and other "small" variations
« on: December 20, 2017, 04:34:08 pm »
The discussion on the JPanzer 38 thread relating to the the proposed Recce version upper hull has promoted a number of other ideas by my fellow contributers.

I just thought that a wishlist thread might be a better place.

I was thinking of variants where the component change was minimal, similar to the JPanzer 38. So a Priest conversion would not fit, but an ARV or BARV would (even though the latter is a new hull or large overlay).

Next post is something that went through my head last night.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 04:41:22 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: Modified hulls and other "small" variations
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 04:46:20 pm »
On a similar theme to the JPanzer 38, how about a DD Sherman hull, with either a new upper hull with the screen mounting or replacement of the sand skirt fitting. A deployed floatation screen might be interesting, but possibly not much use.

A waterline version, with abbreviated hull and screens would be useful. There would be a lot of artistic licence over how much hull was supplied.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 04:55:23 pm »
I posted the following during the Panzer IV discussion. If this is the sort of thing you have in mind I'll be very pleased.

I wonder whether it would be possible to modify it via an expansion kit to make an Ausf C. I think 3 small pieces would correct the turret (new mantlet and side access hatches). The hull machine gun would need to be removed and replaced with a plate that is flat with the driver's. The real tanks were a centimetre different in width (nothing in 1/56 scale).

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 05:10:57 pm »
With the many comments about Bergpanzers how many components of them we common to all.
Is the anchor spade on the  Berg Panther the same as the FAMO and the Bergpanzer 38t?
Did the Berg Panzer and Berg Panther use the same Boom pieces?  Would they fit on the Panther G turret?
The Berg Panzer III, the Berg Panzer IV and Berg Panther had a wooden superstructure, could an expansion kit supply the pieces to build one of them.  Don't forget the winch.
Also common between them are timbers, block and tackle, cables, tools and part crates.
The M32/M32B1 Tank Recovery Vehicle could be an upgrade kit for Shermans like the ones done for German halftracks.
Or a BARV  or M31/M31B1/M31B2 .
Just a thought.

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 08:43:44 pm »
DD tanks has a completely different lower hull which also affects the mid/top of the hill too. As well as the screen.

I think that’s more of a new kit than an expansion.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 09:03:41 pm »
IRC the Berge Panther had 3 different styles of spade according to Jenz & Doyle . I think the one for the Hetzer version would be smaller / lighter ( from  pictures ) , so probably no common parts .  The 3 piece boom crane would probably be of larger diameter pipe for the BP as it was used to pull engines , heavier engine in Panther/ Tiger than Hetzer / Panzer III etc . The smaller tripod crane that fit on the turret top would again probably be sized for the vehicle it was to be used on , stands to reason as each vehicle had its own style / size jack . Don't know if there is information about the size / sizes of this piece of equipment out there in print , The turret tri pod crane mounts are pictured  on Stug III G  / IV , Panther  G ,  late  Tiger I and Tiger II s . I assume other  late vehicles , Jadgpanzer IV , Sturm Tiger , etc got them as well , but really haven't paid attention  :-[  Would be nice if all this gear was a one size fits all , but being a piece of German kit , I doubt it  , just look at how many wheel types their half tracks had , and none fit another version  ::)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 10:51:46 pm »
DD tanks has a completely different lower hull which also affects the mid/top of the hill too. As well as the screen.

I think that’s more of a new kit than an expansion.

I do not have access to drawings or books at the moment.

From http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/duplexdrive/duplexdrive.html
The changes look like, new transmission cover (either with integral bow or as separate moulding - preferably the latter), side and rear screen mounts, props and gears, insert to rear plate, platform.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 10:57:30 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 03:43:12 am »
I guess it could be done by extending the fenders. I think it’s on their radar, but not high priority.

I’d much rather have an M32 though.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

Jaeger

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 12:41:01 pm »
To model a DD M4 Sherman with screen deployed  would only be for display since the vehicle would be mostly beneath the waves.  However there are many photos of DD Shermans still carrying their screens after D-Day operating miles from  any beach.  They were also used in southern France landings and some river crossings.
So a kit that would have collapsed screens that could be fitted to an M4 Sherman with the propellers as attachments to the hull is possible.

As for Berg Panzers and common parts, at this scale a jack is a jack, would there be that much noticeable difference between a Pz IV or Panther one?  Tank bars, wrenches, tool boxes, jack handles to me appear to be pretty much the same.
The spade could be made large and able to be assembled smaller for the 38t BP or in piece components.
Well, maybe scratch that.  I looked at the tamiya Famo accessory kit and the Jenz book  at the Berg Panther spade and they are vastly different. 
A Panther accessory kit could include the mantel to make a Panzerbeobachtungswagen Panther, the spade and parts to make a Berg Panther,  a FlakPanzer V Coelion , 2cm Vierling Flak Panzer or other variants.

Then along the Flak Panzer vein a kit to make the Panzer Kampfwagen IV Flak Panzer variants:  The Mobelwagen, the Wirbelwind, the Ostwind and the Flak Panzer IV Kugelblitz.