Author Topic: 1/56 - getting popular with scale modellers ?  (Read 9551 times)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
1/56 - getting popular with scale modellers ?
« on: June 30, 2019, 10:48:28 pm »
After seeing a new items announcement from ABER , a large photo etch and scale metal barrel company , I would say , hell yes . Among the news release about  metal barrels for the usual suspects , Tamiya Tigers ,  Takom Leopards , etc  and brass machine gun ammo for 1/16 scale modelers  , was a turned barrel for the 1/56 Italeri KV II (56 L-03 ) . It seems the big after market companies are starting to take notice of our  favorite scale . I wonder what other goodies could be released in the future ?
edit - upon further investigation , it seems they have already released a 75mm barrel for the M4 Sherman ( 56 L-01 ) and a short 76mm barrel for the KV kit ( 56 L-02 ) .
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 11:34:36 pm by ripley »

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: 1/56 - getting popular with scale modellers ?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 09:20:39 am »
Quote from: ripley
It seems the big after market companies are starting to take notice of our  favorite scale . I wonder what other goodies could be released in the future ?

Being noticed is a good thing in this case.  :)
Among my modelling friends, they still prefer 1:35 and 1:48 scale model tanks and vehicles for their none wargaming interests and needs.

While the 1:56 scale can be a good modelling scale, this scale is mostly popular and useful for wargamers. This is only because of the evolution of 28mm gaming figures.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 09:24:12 am »
It may take time before it becomes an 'accepted' military modeling scale.  It's quite close to 1/48 scale, which had the advantage of being an established aircraft modeling scale.  I wonder how many military modelers who aren't wargamers will make the jump to a slightly smaller scale.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 10:58:28 am »
You have to admit that a lot of the new  1/56 kits by both Rubicon and Italeri are more scale model in detail and parts count than the first releases by both companies . I think the real sticking point is most large scale model builders haven't paid much attention to this scale and don't realize what they are missing out on . Only about 3 threads on the Armorama site about 1/56 kits in the last year .  I always point out Rubicon's kits to people  at the hobby shop I hang out at ,  and show examples of the built kits in their display cabinet , as well as pictures of  my own builds on my phone . Seems to be working as a few have bought Rubicon kits to build for dioramas

jamesvalentine

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 06:17:48 pm »
From my experience of Facebook I will say...
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
At least from a very vocal minority.

Some scale model group members are instantly dismissive of 1/56th as "too small" (despite being happy with 72nd scale) or just being "toys".
They refuse flat out to acknowledge the scales existence.
one group 'The mediocre modelers group' has removed me 3 times without reason just for posting painted Rubicon tanks.
another group 'The modelers critique group' will harass you until you remove posts of 1/56th items (thankfully I just get ignored nowadays).

Unfortunately these loud obnoxious minorities will silence any supporter of the scale.

I still feel Rubicon has a long way to go getting the interest of modelers.
This is made harder by the range being stocked in no model shops I know of and an ever decreasing shelf presence in wargaming stores.

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 10:21:47 pm »
I’ve converted a few scale modellers over to Rubicon and 1:56.

Usually the argument is the size and the wargaming scale aspect, but the response later is very positive with the level of detail, speed of assembly and the reduced space they take up.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

Old Guard

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 08:47:10 pm »

Some scale model group members are instantly dismissive of 1/56th as "too small" (despite being happy with 72nd scale) or just being "toys".
They refuse flat out to acknowledge the scales existence.
one group 'The mediocre modelers group' has removed me 3 times without reason just for posting painted Rubicon tanks.
another group 'The modelers critique group' will harass you until you remove posts of 1/56th items (thankfully I just get ignored nowadays).

That unfortunately is the kind of elitist petty Crap that exist within (some sectors of)  the wider modelling community. Modelling is modelling, the scale should only be an issue of preference or convenience - the 1.56 is just for wargaming  attitude is frankly pathetic. But , ah well, bollocks to them- their loss, if they don't want to use a range of great models. More available for us!   Some people need to grow up or take their heads out of their own arses. 

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 01:31:53 am »
I did notice the Wirbelwind in this month's WS&S was very badly assembled, there was a very noticeable gap at one end of the join between the glacis and the nose front.

Not sure how they did not notice it before the photographed it.

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 11:58:19 pm »
I can understand the hesitation concerning using 1/56 as a model maker/diorama builder scale.  Most manufacturers of 1/56 "people" do not produce true-to-scale figures. They are beefier, so that fragile barrels and bayonets don't break. They are meant for handling because they are designed for gaming.

Which is why I prefer the beefier/bulkier figures, because I am a gamer.

I have yet to pick up any Rubicon kits that use "people" because I worry that while the AT Gun might be fine, I will need to go looking for someone else's crew figures. Because Rubicon make "true" 28mm figures, not the "heroic" sized ones.

I plan to pick up a crewed weapon soon, and with figures in hand, decide if the figures will work for gaming or not. I suspect I will end up with a crewless weapon though.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 12:53:58 am »
I've mixed and matched Rubicon's , Bolt Action's , various metal & resin figures as well as the PSC 28mm gun crew figures , and for the most part they work well together . Yes Rubicon's are more scale , but people are not all one size . I've got a picture saved somewhere which shows a 6ft 8 inch  German soldier and his 5 foot nothing Tommy guard . As long as you use one brands weapons and personal equipment ( helmets usually came in different sizes so use who's looks good on your figure ) you should have no problem . That being said , Warlord have changed the size of the German Mauser rifle from the original late war Heer kit ( small ) to the latest SS plastics ( larger , more heroic ) as well Rubicon gives you both scale and "game " versions of machine guns in some kits . Decide which looks better TO YOU , and use them . Larger scale modelers have been mixing 1/32 and 1/35 together for years , so it does work if all guns are the same size

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2019, 11:21:07 pm »
Quote from: EarlyWarGamer
I have yet to pick up any Rubicon kits that use "people" because I worry that while the AT Gun might be fine, I will need to go looking for someone else's crew figures. Because Rubicon make "true" 28mm figures, not the "heroic" sized ones.

I highly recommend picking up some Rubicon Models AT-Guns. You will not be disappointed. Their AT-Guns are so much better than any the of metal AT-Guns out there.

As for crews, well, I can understand your concern. Rubicon Models have mentioned a few times they are still working on perfecting their figure's look. Even though their crew are anatomically correct, I think the crews you get with Rubicon's AT-Guns are still more than usable for gaming needs. Yes, they are more anatomically correct than any other manufactures, and this why I understand your concerns.

The issues I see with Rubicon Models is that they are trying to be too anatomically correct! I wished they were closer in look and style to the Perry Miniatures. Perry Miniatures are for gaming, and as a result the Perry brothers mix in a blend of anatomically correctness with some exaggerated detail and proportions. Used for gaming or modelling, Perry figures work. They do a far better job at this than most other companies including Warlord Games, whose figures tend to be very much "heroic" - over exaggerated proportions for their scale.

Rubicon Models is trying to please both modellers and gamers alike, but let us face the current facts, and that is that 1:56 scale is going to be predominately a gaming scale. As a result, Rubicon Models should keep this in mind. I strongly think that if their figures were closer in appearance (look and style) of Perry Miniatures, this would be better for all at this scale.

sandsmodels

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 09:59:54 pm »
there is a lot of scale snobbery in modeling as well as gamers almost being the anti christ in some clubs.
i went to a local club meet that i had been a member on and off for over 15 years.
i took along the italeri 1/72 italian front houses made into a farm with some walls and a base ect.
i was asked how i did the stone & render painting so i told them, emulsion house paint and then GW washes, as soon as i mentioned GW they all just seemed uninterested, turned away and wandered off.
bollocks to them i thought and have not gone back since.

Jaeger

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2019, 06:18:56 am »
It's obvious they can't "art".  If you're happy with how it looks then you did a good job. 
Post pictures.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2019, 07:11:34 am »
Could have been an "age" thing . I notice a lot of younger guys have a reliance on Brand Name products  and have no idea how to use everything and anything you can find around the house or at your local hobby , art supply or hardware store . IRC Vallejo or MIG or somebody is releasing some kind of acrylic weathering pencils ( dirt , grime , rust , etc ) , should go for about $9 each at the LHS . You can get the same type of thing ,in about 50 more colors at the local art shop for about $3 each ! Where would you get yours  from ?
Before I got involved with a bunch of fantasy gamer types I had no clue about GW paints , all the bright colors are a little off putting to us WW2 modeler types , but seeing up close what can done with them ,I changed my view of them . If I ever decide to paint fantasy figures , they'll be my go to paints .But I do use their washes regularly , I just wish they had sample sizes of the more colorful washes and inks ( reds , oranges , lime greens ) sort of like the little paint pots you get with the starter Airfix kits . Bit of a bummer to spend $6 or more on a blue wash or ink that doesn't work like you think it would . I end up giving them away ...

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2019, 08:22:42 pm »
I love GW paints! First tabletop minis games I got into were GW, and I started getting their paints. Hated it when they changed their paint names. Knew the old colors well, and knew how to get the desired results.

I don't use them for my WWII stuff but that's mostly because I am color blind, and don't trust myself to mix and blend to get the right shades. So I just buy a different line of paints meant for military models and use those.

But I have seen stuff painted using cheap Hobby Lobby/Michaels paints that looked great. I am not a paint snob!