Author Topic: Jimmys WIP Thread  (Read 11583 times)

Jimmy_P

• Private
    • View Profile
Jimmys WIP Thread
« on: April 16, 2018, 07:21:32 pm »
Thought I should probably start one of these; got a few bits on the go at the moment - foremostly the Warlord M18 which I'm hoping to add the Rubicon TD crew to, would really appreciate some thoughts on that once I've taken a few photos of it.

Until then thought I'd upload some of my previous Rubicon builds, nothing particularly exciting, all pretty average tabletop standard but a bit of a mix of different things. Oh and please don't pay any attention to the water pot I use for painting, I've had it for a long time!  ::)

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 07:24:24 pm by Jimmy_P »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmys WIP Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 08:06:52 pm »
Very nice . Tiger looks really good , Whats the octopus decal on the Panther turret ? I don't recall that SS Panzer Division lol

Jimmy_P

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 08:48:09 pm »
Thanks! Ha, I'm afraid the Tesseract-power Panther is based on the HYDRA Panzer Divisions (circa 1945)... :P

So, taken some photos of the Hellcat. The internal detail on the turret is actually really nice in this kit, though weirdly thats part of them problem... possibly I'm overthinking things, but as you can see into the turrent (and out the bottom) to me I think it's going to be pretty obvious that the crew figures are missing their lower extremities...

Perhaps once properly assembled and painted it won't be too obvious, but I'm not convinced of that. Don't know if anyone else has built this kit but I struggled to find any decent pictures online of how it looks once completed (with crew). Plus it's missing one crew member anyway. So I was hoping to use the Rubion crew to add the third crew member and/or replace some of the existing crew. Having done a bit of research, I put one of the rubicon TD crew on the gunners seat. With the breech etc and the extra crew body filling the turret space, I hoped it would mean you couldn't really see/notice that the crew were only part-figures.

I think it works okay with the loader but the tank commander is still pretty obviously missing the bottom part of his legs. Not sure whether to replace him with another of the rubicon ones and have him sitting lower in the turret, behind the gunner? Assuming that I've got their positions in the turret right!

Or perhaps try and use some plastic US infantry to "donate" some legs for him (might end up doing both options in different Hellcats - have another two to build after this one). Any thoughts or other ideas?

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 11:05:07 pm »
Thanks! Ha, I'm afraid the Tesseract-power Panther is based on the HYDRA Panzer Divisions (circa 1945)... :P
That is not historical, as everyone knows Hydra used FV432s brought back through time from the British Army sell off ^___^.

Nice engine glow effect.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 11:09:33 pm »
Oh and please don't pay any attention to the water pot I use for painting, I've had it for a long time!  ::)
More pictures of the water pot!

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 11:18:38 pm »
Nice models. Clean scheme on the Tiger is good. The whitewash on the T34 looks suitably worn.

Good point on the hellcat, does seem daft to have  half crew on an open topped turret. You could try sawing the legs etc off of some Warlord plastics or spare Rubicon Jeep crew.

We are looking for crew for our Waffentragers at the moment, but that has a tiny turret. Just thought, the Airborne Jeep crew might make a good gunner for the waffentrager.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 11:21:22 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 07:47:54 am »
Weird War stuff  ::) ok , sorry I don't really follow the "47" , Dust kind of stuff , so I really couldn't figure out what it was  :-[ . As an open top vehicle ,the Hellcat will be OD green , inside and out , if you paint the crew in  OD uniform  colors the fact that  they are missing limbs shouldn't be noticed . I've added pieces of tubing or a 1/56 scale 45 gallon fuel drum to half figures to give them some substance ,just paint the same color  as the rest of the uniform . You could instead  use the tube on the seated figure and add his legs to the commander . Might be time to order a couple of BA figure sprues to have on hand for kit bashing , or maybe pick up a cheap Tamiya 1/48 figure set .
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 07:52:08 am by ripley »

Jimmy_P

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 03:57:51 am »

Thanks guys! Yeah, afraid the Panther is part of a Marvel-themed K47 / "weird war" army - though I have built enough to field a proper platoon of them for Chain of Command, etc. Sadly haven't seen any 1/56 FV452s so I had to make do with the Panther  :P like the idea of having a few more paper panzers with them, so the waffentrager is on the list!

Good ideas for the Hellcat crew, hadn't thought about the jeep crew (haven't got one yet - have an excuse now haha!) and will probably pick up a couple of BA sprues to help with kitbashing. The new Rubicon M8/M20 crew set has a chap with all of his limbs so that might be an option for the cdr too.

And I guess you're probably right Ripley that once it's all painted it'll not be noticed. On that note; the Hellcat instructions list US Field Drab for the paint colour - but I'd read in a few different places about using Vallejo Brown Violet (seriously weird name for a green paint!). Now I'm colour blind so that chances I'd notice the difference between the shades of green are pretty small, but it'd be useful to know what you guys reckon is the better paint to use!

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 04:22:34 am »
Thanks guys! Yeah, afraid the Panther is part of a Marvel-themed K47 / "weird war" army - though I have built enough to field a proper platoon of them for Chain of Command, etc. Sadly haven't seen any 1/56 FV452s so I had to make do with the Panther.

Sloppy Jalopy do a 1/56 resin FV432, it is taking a while to assemble.

I forgot to pick up the Lucid Eye Project Sturm figures at Salute:
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/product/projekt-sturm/

Superheroey stuff:
http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/A.G.E.N.T.S.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 07:49:53 am »
I've always used Brown Violet as a Brit color , I've done both my Churchills in it and I did my Sherman in the Humbrol enamel which closely matches it  ( Matt 155) which Humbol  call Matt Olive Drab   ::) . I feel its much too brown for OD . Your best bet would be Model Color 889 US Olive Drab or 873 US Field Drab , which is a brown shade of OD  ( I've always thought it was a uniform color ) . The problem with any shade of OD ( and IRC there are about 5 used in WWII  ) is that if you do find your perfect shade , once you add a wash to your vehicle , your perfect shade  is gone . I usually do a few test strips of various paint and washes , ( Army Painter , GW & Vallejo ) to see how each wash changes each base paint . And plain old early war German Grey/Gray , however you spell it , is just the same PIA as OD . Go with what looks right for you , its your hobby , your kit , there is no one "right" color . Just look at all the variations in Panzer Yellow , OD & Russian Green tanks  on some of the large scale hobby sights by the  guys who get stuff published in magazines

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 03:53:10 pm »
... Vallejo Brown Violet (seriously weird name for a green paint!).
Ah, you should try Improved Engine Green for misleading or odd colour names:
https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/50p476g

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 04:02:10 pm »
My choice of colour can be blamed on the Flames of War rules that came with their starter set a while back (I think I downloaded them from their site). The British tank instructions were PSC spray British tank green or Vallejo Russian Uniform Green.

As Ripley mentioned, washes and shades can alter the colour drastically, my Shermans and the M5A1 used PSC British tank green and the Studebaker and the T34 used Humbrol Dark Green.

Jimmy_P

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 05:25:38 pm »

Sloppy Jalopy do a 1/56 resin FV432, it is taking a while to assemble.

I forgot to pick up the Lucid Eye Project Sturm figures at Salute:
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/product/projekt-sturm/

Superheroey stuff:
http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/A.G.E.N.T.S.

Cool! My Red Skull is based on one of the Lucid Eye models. Your AGENTS stuff looks great  :D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 05:34:06 pm by Jimmy_P »

Jimmy_P

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 05:33:41 pm »

Thanks for the thoughts about paint colour guys. The silly thing is, being red/green colour blind, all of the different makes and versions of Olive Drab (or any green/brown paint for that matter) all look the same to me - so it's difficult to say what looks right to me, as they all do!  :P

I guess that makes me a little OCD about using the "right" colour (though I know that is a troublesome thing to define), rather than going for any old shade of green/brown which might look fine to my eyes but could look off to anyone else.

Found this article by Steve Zaloga which might be of interest (although you've probably seen it before), not that it's helped me much, just made me less sure what to use! On the plus side, I've assembled the Rubicon M20 car whilst I've been trying to work out how to paint stuff!

http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article/olive-drab/4536/

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 06:40:02 pm »
I've linked that Zaloga thread before.  The trouble is that the supposedly correct shade of OD always looks too brown.  I prefer something more like the colour that Tracks used for his US tanks.